G'gay all,

I have been looking to upgrade my system for awhile now & a friend of mine has recently offered to sell me his used 6900k for $450AUD. 

Is it worth it? I was also looking into the i7 7820x, which is about $750AUD.

Currently i am running a i7 4790, which means new Mobo & Ram either way i got.

I use the system as a home office & gaming machine, manly Autodesk Revit, Autocad & some Adobe programs

Are you running into slow downsthat require you to upgrade?

the i74790 is still very good, only upgrade if you need to otherwise you’ll probably won’t notice much increase, only thing it will do it make it so you have to upgrade not as soon as if you kept the same cpu

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Are you running into slow downsthat require you to upgrade?

the i74790 is still very good, only upgrade if you need to otherwise you’ll probably won’t notice much increase, only thing it will do it make it so you have to upgrade not as soon as if you kept the same cpu

Its not super slow but the office computers are i7 6800k's & they perform much better when i have a few programs open.

I would just keep what you got, its a great CPU. Spend the money elsewhere in your RIG like upgrading ram if you need it or maybe converting to SSD if you dont have any. Depending on what you do with your PC, more cores could benefit a bit, but if your not having issues with the setup you have doing the tasks you throw at it, not really worth all that money in my opinion =/ X99 can be spendy to get into, and the new 7th gen X series from intel are.. a bit of a joke lol. If your deadset on upgrading, 8700k is a decent jump adding 2 cores, or if you can hold out for 9th gen on a whole to platform, 9700k with 8 cores sounds way better for what your doing.

22 minutes ago, oldmatejohnno said:

G'gay all,

I have been looking to upgrade my system for awhile now & a friend of mine has recently offered to sell me his used 6900k for $450AUD. 

Is it worth it? I was also looking into the i7 7820x, which is about $750AUD.

Currently i am running a i7 4790, which means new Mobo & Ram either way i got.

I use the system as a home office & gaming machine, manly Autodesk Revit, Autocad & some Adobe programs

agreed with others, i have a 6600k myself, and don't plan to upgrade until i need to, if it still does what you want, wait another few more years, if it feels a bit slow then get something that would be better than what you could get today, also gives you a bit more time to save up for said better parts 

Thanks for the input guys, I think your right. It's probably more of a "want" oppose to a "need" at this point.

I believe you shouldn't upgrade now. The RAM prices are ridicuolos, the new MoBo prices are high. If you'd buy a system now, I bet the cost of the RAM would be more than the cost of the MoBo, unless you buy some overpriced X1~/299 chipset. A quick question: Do you have a 4790 or a 4790K? If it's a K model, you could just upgrade the cooler and overclock it 10-15% and be good until intel actualy does some work, not just slapping a Kabylake i3 and i7 together, call it cannon lake and sell it. My hopes are in the 9th gen, which is a few years to go. It'd be a 10nm design, and more cores to come. But it's a long time to wait.
However, even with the "new' intel products, I still strongly recommend the Ryzen lineup, but their use-case is dependent on what are you using your computer. But, they are still cheaper, and AMD promised long term support for the AM4 socket. 

I'd be tempted if I could get a 6900k for that price. At that price it's a much better deal than the 7820x, which is only very slightly faster in general use and not even faster in games. RAM is the real killer, though-- 4 sticks of DDR4 is going to be super expensive. I'd personally wait, though, since core counts are supposed to go up again on Intel's mainstream platform next year, and possibly AMD the year after that. But if you're dissatisfied with your current system's performance, the 6900k would be a decent upgrade, depending on the programs you use

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

As 7820x owner I would also recommend you to wait a bit longer. Although the performance difference in syntetics is ~2x, it won`t give you any actual benefits at the moment. I started my built basicly from scratch, so i did not have to wonder about reasonable benefit gains and 7820x seemed to have the biggest headroom/budget ratio.

I`m pretty sure that 4790 will be considered adequate for at least two years and delidded "K" even longer. Presuming that motherboards last that long.

3 hours ago, thewipyk said:

A quick question: Do you have a 4790 or a 4790K? 

Just the i7 4790