Hard Drive Partition Error

TraskJ

I recently purchased a used Dell Latitude laptop. I put an SSD in it, and it runs wonderfully, but the hard disk that was in the computer before won't reformat. I've tried command prompt, and I get all the way up to the "select disk 1" command and when I type either "clean" or "create partition primary" the command window tells me "there is no disk selected to create a partition." Additionally, the hard drive shows up in disk manager as "Unreadable" though it also shows the disk as having four partitions, one of which is an OEM. When I try to format through the disk manager window, the disk manager crashes. Ideas, anyone? I can attach screenshots if they would be helpful. Anything is appreciated! 

PS: I'm using the disk via an external enclosure. I know the enclosure works because other hard drives connect just fine through it. 

PPS: I'm having a similar problem when I connect it to my MacBook Pro. Shows up as 0 bytes and unreadable. 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Have you tried with a proper SATA connection? I have always had issues with drive enclosures. My guess is the the drive is NTFS so you can't format it on a mac anyway as the boot partition manager thing is master boot record scream.  

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

1 hour ago, fixitnow said:

Have you tried with a proper SATA connection? I have always had issues with drive enclosures. My guess is the the drive is NTFS so you can't format it on a mac anyway as the boot partition manager thing is master boot record scream.  

I've been working on it through Windows 10 on my Latitude because I'm more familiar with that OS. I'm not sure how I'd try a proper SATA connection, as my desktop is in storage currently. 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

21 minutes ago, TraskJ said:

I've been working on it through Windows 10 on my Latitude because I'm more familiar with that OS. I'm not sure how I'd try a proper SATA connection, as my desktop is in storage currently. 

Ah right ok. Fair enough. I can think of two options :

1- Put the drive to one side until you can get to a computer that has a normal SATA connection

2- Buy a DVD-sata adapter(LINK) and then try...but there is no guarantee here. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?