Rotating my cpu cooler

OK so a week ago I built my first computer but being the noob I am I installed the AIO cooler water block upside down and my question is would it be safe to rotate it to be right side up without changing the thermal paste and it not harming my cpu temps? so you know I have an H100i v2 on a I7-6850k overclocked to 4.4Ghz. please don't leave your oppinion if you are just guessing cause I don't want my PC screwed up. Thx

As far as I have been told, once you separate the CPU block from the CPU, you will need to replace the thermal paste, as it will become imperfect or something. Not sure how much of a temperature increase you should see but I'd really recommend changing the thermal paste if you do that

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

In most cases, it's likely going to be fine if you immediately put the water block back on. The question is do you want to risk it? You have a nice CPU and water cooler, and a stick of a high quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 only costs about $5 and will last many applications. I would recommend reapplying, just in case. 

i7-6700 @ 4.4GHz || Asrock Z170 Pro4 || MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB || Sandisk 480GB SSD + 2x Crucial 128GB SSD + Seagate 3TB HDD

2x8GB G.Skill 2133MHz || NZXT S340 || Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo || EVGA B2 750W || AOC G2260VWQ6 Freesync

Thermal pastes are supposed to close the gap between your CPU and the block on your cooler. So whenever you separate your cooler and your CPU, you lose some of where the thermal paste "filled" in the gaps, and just using the old paste would miss those pockets of where the paste needs to be.

TL;DR: just use new paste to be safe.

Best is just to jump on Amazon or something and get some new paste.
Protect your investment + this being your first build.

Do you have something against re-applying the thermal paste?  It would probably be fine, but better safe than sorry.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

You will probably be fine in the short term, but why not just go buy the arctic mx-4 on amazon or something?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.