Time to Upgrade Yet?

So I figured I'd jump on here and ask for some input. I'm currently running an intel i5 4670 (non k) with a GTX 1070 and 16GBs of RAM for 2k gaming set up. I'm throwing around the idea of upgrading to an 8600k or 8400 obviously along with the Z370 board and some DDR4. Do you guys and gals think 4 years is too soon to update CPU/MOBO?

2 minutes ago, McCloudX1070 said:

So I figured I'd jump on here and ask for some input. I'm currently running an intel i5 4670 (non k) with a GTX 1070 and 16GBs of RAM for 2k gaming set up. I'm throwing around the idea of upgrading to an 8600k or 8400 obviously along with the Z370 board and some DDR4. Do you guys and gals think 4 years is too soon to update CPU/MOBO?

It actually depends on you. Your purpose of upgrading is because of games you play no longer meets your requirement (as in fps) or the games you wanna play, your system cannot meet the requirement (seriously?).

In general, if you are fine with your current specs and it works with no fault / error, then why upgrade? If your purpose is just to have the latest tech, then technically every year you have to change if you get what I mean.

I'm running i5-4690K (OC to 4.5GHz), so far, games I play on it is still running fine. So I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon (I hope) as no point for me.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

if you are still happy with it, why would you change it...?

age, aesthetics, and the main game I play is Elder Scrolls Online which is single core and clock speed performance based so a chip I could push close to 5Ghz could help with lows of FPS in PvP or major cities, ect.  Also I'm not gonna lie, my wife is building her first PC very soon (waiting on back ordered case) and that is making me wanna upgrade. lol. All valid points though, aside from ESO I really don't need to upgrade to be honest with myself. It is my main game but it also isn't unplayable. Damn you logic!

10 minutes ago, McCloudX1070 said:

age, aesthetics, and the main game I play is Elder Scrolls Online which is single core and clock speed performance based so a chip I could push close to 5Ghz could help with lows of FPS in PvP or major cities, ect.  Also I'm not gonna lie, my wife is building her first PC very soon (waiting on back ordered case) and that is making me wanna upgrade. lol. All valid points though, aside from ESO I really don't need to upgrade to be honest with myself. It is my main game but it also isn't unplayable. Damn you logic!

in that case hold on man til next year :P ryzen new zen2 & intel's new line up will be more interesting than this year. 

33 minutes ago, McCloudX1070 said:

Haha. If that is the case, in theory you don't need to upgrade yet. If it's for me, I will hold on the upgrade and see what's on the line next year. I have a feeling that the CPU launch next year will be newer than the current CPU ... :P

Liked I said, it really depends on you. But I would strongly recommend you to hold off the upgrade for now.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

haha thanks guys! As much as I hate to admit it seems like I should hold off and see what we get next year as suggested. We all know I won't be able to buy a Z370 and run what ever chip comes out next year! lol