Storage option questions

Hi

I have recently bought a 840 evo 120gb and I am looking to use this for my OS and core programs and to use my current 1tb hdd for storage.

I was wondering what is the best way to keep all my installed games so i don't have to download them all again while installing a new os on the ssd.

I have read that it might be possible to back up the "steam apps" folder and re installing steam will re install the games without having to download them all again, is this right?

Also my 1tb hdd is looking a little full and was thinking of doubling it up with another in raid 0.

Two questions about this, firstly if I do this will I have to format my current hdd? Secondly once the array is set up is it possible to move it to a new motherboard?

Thanks.

NZXT Phantom, i5 2500K @ 4.2Ghz, Noctua NH-C-14, ASUS P8Z77-V

EVGA 780 Classy, 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz

120GB SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black (RAID 0), CM Silent Pro 700W, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit.

I have read that it might be possible to back up the "steam apps" folder and re installing steam will re install the games without having to download them all again, is this right?

Yes, it may need to re-verify the game files but other than that you should be fine.

Its also possible to install steam as a bootloader where you can install/use that hard drive on any machine.

Its also possible to install steam as a bootloader where you can install/use that hard drive on any machine.

What...

The Steam Backup thing allegedly tends to not work properly and people have had to redownload their games because of it.

It is much safer to just manually copy over the steamapps directory.

Did you read the article from the link? Here's a quote:

The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

1. Exit the Steam client application.
  2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
  3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
  4. Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
  5. Launch Steam and log into your account.

Thanks for the input on the steam games, looks like it should be pretty painless.

Any ideas on raid 0? I don't really want to spend another £60 on a hdd to have to start again when I do a platform upgrade.

Any ideas on raid 0? I don't really want to spend another £60 on a hdd to have to start again when I do a platform upgrade.

The proper way of initializing a RAID-0 array involves wiping data on all member disks.. Apparently you can do it through software without deleting data using Intel RST but I have not tried it.

Yes, you can move the array to another system providing it has the same controller. For example if your system uses a software Intel raid you can move the array to another system with Intel raid.

Did you read the article from the link? Here's a quote:

Sorry just took a quick look and assumed it was using the Steam backup thing since I previously saw a page about it, didn't read enough of the page you linked to know it was the manual method.

Hi

I have recently bought a 840 evo 120gb and I am looking to use this for my OS and core programs and to use my current 1tb hdd for storage.

I was wondering what is the best way to keep all my installed games so i don't have to download them all again while installing a new os on the ssd.

Also my 1tb hdd is looking a little full and was thinking of doubling it up with another in raid 0.

Two questions about this, firstly if I do this will I have to format my current hdd? Secondly once the array is set up is it possible to move it to a new motherboard?

Thanks.

Remember to use Samsung Migration tool if you are not already using it :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

The proper way of initializing a RAID-0 array involves wiping data on all member disks.. Apparently you can do it through software without deleting data using Intel RST but I have not tried it.

Yes, you can move the array to another system providing it has the same controller. For example if your system uses a software Intel raid you can move the array to another system with Intel raid.

Ah brilliant so basically as long as I upgrade to a Intel cpu + chipset I will be fine? I can't go amd.

my rule of thumb, if you did not buy 2 new identical drives at the same time, do not raid #.

anytime you use raid #, you need to create a virtual drive, the process of creating a virtual drive volume will delete everything on both drives.

note: substitute # for 0,1,5, 6,10, 50, 60

Thanks for the input on the steam games, looks like it should be pretty painless.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/