Razer Power Bank vs. The competition

40 minutes ago, Shponglanator said:

Isn't it nearly equivalent to watching YouTube in terms of power consumption? 15 to 20 minutes of gaming isn't THAT big of a factor in my battery consumption.

yeah pretty much but it's a bit more taxing than youtube because it goes both ways and has to stay updated live. it can't load a buffer of the video

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 1700X
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B350-F
RAM: 16GB of 3200 EVGA RAM
SSD: Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO M.2, 512GB
GPU: XFX RX 480 8GB RS
HDD: 1TB Seagate
Cooling: CORSAIR H110i & 2x Cooler Master MasterFan pro 140
PSU: CORSAIR CX750M

Case: Crystal 460X

People gawk at my Razer Stealth and wonder how the hell I play XCOM 2 on it. The truth of the matter is that anybody can stream games to their laptop.  I only wish that mine was as special as people think it is.

OK!  Here is some of the research that I have done, regarding my options for a power bank.  Graphs included!  What do you think?  I think the Charge speed should as closely match that of the laptop wall-charger as possible.  So does Cygnett AND Line-Dock, and apparently Razer.  I spoke with all three of their customer service departments, and each had a compelling argument as to why I should purchase their Power Bank.

It should be noted though that Cygnett and Line-dock both advertise to be capable of "charging my laptop's battery multiple times over", and Razer, being transparent, said that that's not going to happen, even with their own Razer power bank.  When confronted on this, Line-dock argued that the % of the battery charged is overstated in each power bank's case too, as only a fraction of the each battery's charge is transferred to the laptop's battery pack, and it is based on battery quality.  They implied that obviously theirs is better because it is more expensive :P.  Really, in the end, the perfect product for me might be a 45W USB-C 100,000 mAh Power Bank.

For the record, the "100% charging speed is best" part is loosely based on research and personal opinion. "https://www.pcworld.com/article/2683012/want-lithiumion-batteries-to-last-slow-charging-may-not-be-the-answer.html" as slow charging my battery could possibly damage it; I want to baby my laptop.  

Also, mach maximum wattage is based on published max voltage, and amperage with a ceiling at my laptop's 2.25 amps; assuming that each power bank's circuitry is capable of restricting itself to 45W (20V 2.25a), and not going over if it is powerful enough (Line Dock :P), or capable of (in Rav Power's case) constantly outputting the maximum voltage and amperage per design.

Power Bank options.xlsx

image.thumb.png.840a3165202239dfc78a4f9771fbea67.png

Power Bank options.xlsx

My rig:

People gawk at my Razer Stealth and wonder how the hell I play XCOM 2 on it. The truth of the matter is that anybody can stream games to their laptop.  I only wish that mine was as special as people think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to update my research!  My laptop's power capacity is only 2k mAh...MAYBE.  It is 43,800 mWh in capacity.  My second chart, showing % of Razer battery charged was misled by Razer customer support.  Here is the new chart.  It still scales to show the same relative data, and the standard deviation is unknown due to the numerous variables that go into a battery's charging speed.  Previously the % of my laptop's battery charged was grossly understated.  The new Excel spreadsheet is attached too.  If I can actually get 8 or 9 laptop charges out of a powerbank that would rock.  o.Oimage.png.27143ca2fb0b7867a650378387b2842f.png

Power Bank options.xlsx

My rig:

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2017 at 4:56 PM, Shponglanator said:

I have to update my research!  My laptop's power capacity is only 2k mAh...MAYBE.  It is 43,800 mWh in capacity.  My second chart, showing % of Razer battery charged was misled by Razer customer support.  Here is the new chart.  It still scales to show the same relative data, and the standard deviation is unknown due to the numerous variables that go into a battery's charging speed.  Previously the % of my laptop's battery charged was grossly understated.  The new Excel spreadsheet is attached too.  If I can actually get 8 or 9 laptop charges out of a powerbank that would rock.  o.Oimage.png.27143ca2fb0b7867a650378387b2842f.png

Power Bank options.xlsx

I have finally found a powerbank that actually can be used with a razer blade stealth (been using it already). https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0776P46R3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

equipping it with the bolt magnetic charging cable and you will have an awesome setup.