Inconsistent GPU usage

luigi90210
Go to solution Solved by luigi90210,

well i figured out what the issue was, had to disable windows game mode

So I started having an issue with my computer and I can't figure out what's going on with it. When I'm playing overwatch I'm getting inconsistent usage with my GPU which is limiting my FPS to 120 when I should be getting more than 160fps. 

This started after I installed the chipset drivers for ryzen, before installing the chipset drivers I was getting 160-170fps with consistent GPU usage at 99% but after I started getting 70-90% usage with no more than 120fps. 

Even after a clean install of windows I don't get the high FPS and consistent GPU usage I used to get. 

I have tried setting windows power plan to performance, changing overclock settings, swapped ram into different slots, changing the overclock on my 1060 6gb, I have even tried running the command prompt line to disable HPET but that didn't work(said no line found in registry). My temps are also fine(60c GPU and 50c CPU)

My CPU usage is also really low, idk if that's normal but I hover around the 30% usage mark when gaming

This has been really bothering me as my old system got higher FPS(130fps) with consistent GPU usage. 

So far the only thing that increases the GPU usage to 99% consistently is changing the render scale to 150% but that doesn't give me more FPS(lowers FPS to 80). 

My specs

Ryzen 1400@3.8ghz

16gb DDR4 2400

Asus Prime B350-Plus

480GB PNY SSD

2TB WD Blue

EVGA SC 1060 6gb mini

22 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

So I started having an issue with my computer and I can't figure out what's going on with it. When I'm playing overwatch I'm getting inconsistent usage with my GPU which is limiting my FPS to 120 when I should be getting more than 160fps. 

This started after I installed the chipset drivers for ryzen, before installing the chipset drivers I was getting 160-170fps with consistent GPU usage at 99% but after I started getting 70-90% usage with no more than 120fps. 

Even after a clean install of windows I don't get the high FPS and consistent GPU usage I used to get. 

I have tried setting windows power plan to performance, changing overclock settings, swapped ram into different slots, changing the overclock on my 1060 6gb, I have even tried running the command prompt line to disable HPET but that didn't work(said no line found in registry). My temps are also fine(60c GPU and 50c CPU)

My CPU usage is also really low, idk if that's normal but I hover around the 30% usage mark when gaming

This has been really bothering me as my old system got higher FPS(130fps) with consistent GPU usage. 

So far the only thing that increases the GPU usage to 99% consistently is changing the render scale to 150% but that doesn't give me more FPS(lowers FPS to 80). 

My specs

Ryzen 1400@3.8ghz

16gb DDR4 2400

Asus Prime B350-Plus

480GB PNY SSD

2TB WD Blue

EVGA SC 1060 6gb mini

Your cpu is bottle necked Your cpu is going as hard as it can but the Gpu is keeping up easily. it like a three legged race the cpu and old man how is having a hard man wall the gpu is a 20 year old how cannot break a sweat.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 hour ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Your cpu is bottle necked Your cpu is going as hard as it can but the Gpu is keeping up easily. it like a three legged race the cpu and old man how is having a hard man wall the gpu is a 20 year old how cannot break a sweat.

Shouldn't my CPU be at 100% load then? 

I have low CPU and GPU usage not just low GPU usage

This CPU is stronger than my old FX was and it doesn't make sense that when my GPU was running at 99% I got 160fps and not I'm getting 120fps with 25-30% CPU usage and 70-90% GPU usage

I really don't appreciate these kinds of responses as you clearly didn't read my post. 

19 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

Shouldn't my CPU be at 100% load then? 

I have low CPU and GPU usage not just low GPU usage

This CPU is stronger than my old FX was and it doesn't make sense that when my GPU was running at 99% I got 160fps and not I'm getting 120fps with 25-30% CPU usage and 70-90% GPU usage

I really don't appreciate these kinds of responses as you clearly didn't read my post. 

Sounds driver related to me. Can you roll back your chipset driver and report back?

If neither your GPU nor CPU are at 100% then your fps is being limited by something else. Often this is due to a framerate limiter or v-sync. Do you have a framerate limit set on a GPU software or in game? Do you have v-sync on? What is the framerate of your monitor?

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

If neither your GPU nor CPU are at 100% then your fps is being limited by something else.

This is incorrect.

Most games aren't properly optimized to take advantage of more than a few cores and threads. Just because a CPU isn't being 100% utilized doesn't mean it's not the bottleneck.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

19 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

This is incorrect.

Most games aren't properly optimized to take advantage of more than a few cores and threads. Just because a CPU isn't being 100% utilized doesn't mean it's not the bottleneck.

Yes, you're correct in any games that don't multi-thread efficiently. I should have been more specific. It is the individual thread usage that matters, not total CPU usage. I should have specified that I meant that individual threads are not at 100%.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

2 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Sounds driver related to me. Can you roll back your chipset driver and report back?

i havent installed the chipset driver yet, i did a clean installation of windows when this started happening and that didnt fix it(since the issue didnt exist until i installed the chipset driver from AMD)

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

If neither your GPU nor CPU are at 100% then your fps is being limited by something else. Often this is due to a framerate limiter or v-sync. Do you have a framerate limit set on a GPU software or in game? Do you have v-sync on? What is the framerate of your monitor?

vsync is off and in the nvidia control panel i set it to max performance, all frame limiters are off(which i think its weird that im only getting a solid 120fps with that off since it never goes above 120fps really, maybe 121fps but never any much higher) does geforce expereience have a framerate limiter? i checked settings for MSI afterburner and overwatch itself and both are set to not limit fps and i didnt see one for geforce experience

23 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

This is incorrect.

than it should be higher than 25-30% though, on my FX CPU it was using about 50-60% of my CPU which would mean about 4-5 cores being used, and when i did get 160fps on my initial windows install it was using about the same on my r5 1400 but now that has dropped and im stumped as to why this is happening

3 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

than it should be higher than 25-30% though

One would think, but that's not always the case.

As @pyrojoe34 mentioned in his previous post, check your individual threads. If any one of them is reaching 95% or higher, then that's your bottleneck right there.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Frankenburger said:

One would think, but that's not always the case.

As @pyrojoe34 mentioned in his previous post, check your individual threads. If any one of them is reaching 95% or higher, then that's your bottleneck right there.

none of my threads are going over 25% usage according to both task manager and afterburner

EDIT while spectating a bot match in overwatch I see at most 48% thread usage on one thread at most, the rest of the threads are anywhere between 8-35%

6 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

none of my threads are going over 25% usage according to both task manager and afterburner

EDIT while spectating a bot match in overwatch I see at most 48% thread usage on one thread at most, the rest of the threads are anywhere between 8-35%

In that case, it could either be an issue with Overwatch, a Windows issue, a driver issue, or a conflict with your hardware. I really don't know of any way to troubleshoot Windows other than reinstalling it, same with Overwatch. Perhaps try Game Booster after doing a reinstall of Overwatch. For drivers, using different driver versions for both the chipset and GPU could yield positive results. Also, try updating your BIOS if you haven't already done so. Considering you're using Ryzen, what you're seeing might be an early adopter issue that hasn't been ironed out yet.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

In that case, it could either be an issue with Overwatch, a Windows issue, a driver issue, or a conflict with your hardware. I really don't know of any way to troubleshoot Windows other than reinstalling it, same with Overwatch. Perhaps try Game Booster after doing a reinstall of Overwatch. For drivers, using different driver versions for both the chipset and GPU could yield positive results. Also, try updating your BIOS if you haven't already done so. Considering you're using Ryzen, what you're seeing might be an early adopter issue that hasn't been ironed out yet.

ill try reinstalling overwatch again and maybe reinstalling windows, i know my bios is up to date, thats the first thing i updated when i built the computer before even installing windows(thank you asus for implementing an internet update option in the bios itself)

i just think its weird that this issue only occurred after installing the chipset drivers from amd and performance beforehand was perfectly fine and that even a clean install of windows didnt fix that, i even went as far as plugging my computer into another outlet hoping it might be related to a bad power socket or something but no avail, i guess the next thing for me to try is a UPS just in case the power in my room might be bad

22 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

no way

18 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

This is incorrect.

@luigi90210 check how many threads are being used.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Singh said:

@luigi90210 check how many threads are being used.

I did and most threads are being under utilized with one thread being used at 48% and the rest were anywhere from 8-35%

I changed my graphics settings from ultra to epic and that seems to have gotten at least 4 threads at 60% workload and increased my GPU usage to 90-100% usage with 125fps consistently so I might leave it at that or switch back to ultra so I can see if I have my frames back

Oooh. You're using the creator's update. Huh, good to know! Thanks for reporting back!

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Oooh. You're using the creator's update. Huh, good to know! Thanks for reporting back!

ya i kind of figured id share my solution when i found it just in case someone comes across this thread via google or something