Some tips for a fresh IT helpdesk guy

Daroll

Hey, so I'm working as an IT helpdesk support in a 100+ employees company and im curious if you have any tips regarding this job.
For example today I had a girl come by with her laptop and she said that it freezes from time to time and she has to restart it, what would you do in the first place in a scenario like this? 
I personally downloaded a software to update most drivers that my supervisor recommended some time ago DriverPack Solution and updated bios, any other suggestions? :D 

11 minutes ago, Daroll said:

Hey, so I'm working as an IT helpdesk support in a 100+ employees company and im curious if you have any tips regarding this job.
For example today I had a girl come by with her laptop and she said that it freezes from time to time and she has to restart it, what would you do in the first place in a scenario like this? 
I personally downloaded a software to update most drivers that my supervisor recommended some time ago DriverPack Solution and updated bios, any other suggestions? :D 

It's a difficult one really, most people expect the problem to be solved rather quickly, personally just try and learn as much as you can from people around you, see how they handle things, every place is different, i wonder will you be answering a phone too? 

7 minutes ago, Daroll said:

Same here!

But I guess in that case I would check the health of the harddrive, maybe run a sfc scannow command, also update drivers, install a new bios if there were any, and maybe even a chkdsk if the hard drive was acting up a bit.

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

13 minutes ago, Daroll said:

In terms of the problem, i'd the CPU usage see if a program is dominating the usage or remove some bloatware? 

Just now, JackDoyne said:

i wonder will you be answering a phone too? 

No, we have a quite small office and when there's a need for us IT to do something people just come by 

Just now, Daroll said:

No, we have a quite small office and when there's a need for us IT to do something people just come by 

Ah lucky then, that's the part i hate the most! 

17 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

In terms of the problem, i'd the CPU usage see if a program is dominating the usage or remove some bloatware?

Well the only program people in her department are using is google chrome :P and her laptop is quite new, only 1 person was using it before (and didn't had any problems with it, or simply didn't said anything) for about 1 month and if I remember correctly we wiped it clean before giving it to her, btw. she started work couple days ago 

Remember always ask if she or he has tried to restart the comp / program. My number one tip right there.

Just now, Finboy said:

Remember always ask if she or he has tried to restart the comp / program. My number one tip right there.

Yeah I always ask to do that with a smile on my face :D but she already did that because her pc froze so this was not the case this time :P

39 minutes ago, Daroll said:

Yeah I always ask to do that with a smile on my face :D but she already did that because her pc froze so this was not the case this time :P

I have to admit that didn't fully read the og post but yeah updating drivers / bios as you did, fast check if you notice anything weird, if so ask the client does he / she know what it is, one possibility is antivirus is running while working if it is a older / slower machine so time it for a lunch brake etc & finally for freezing or unresponsive etc I would check temps & as ppl have noted check the storage drive. After that I would just say if it continues bring it in so you can troubleshoot it more, ofc with in your companies protocol how to handle these things.