$500 Gaming PC build for friend

Garrison Marsh

My friend is wanting a gaming pc and his budget is around $500. I made this build pretty quick and i think it looks good but I'd like some feedback. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9GKvM8

Also I have heard that you can save money with a budget like this by buying a cheap prebuilt with a decent CPU then putting a graphics card in it. I also don't really know anything about buying used parts if that could help. Just let me know what you think would be best.

Also I'm not factoring in the price of a monitor but he will need one so let me know if you know of a cheap 1080p monitor (probably under 100)

Edit: It would also be nice if we could fit an SSD in there for the OS

Its all good

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

5 hours ago, Garrison Marsh said:

I made this build pretty quick and i think it looks good but I'd like some feedback. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9GKvM8

If you are buying new, this looks pretty good. You can't OC (A320 chipset) but honestly I wouldn't OC with a $50 board even if it supported it. Make sure the ram is on ASRock's QVL list. You could swap out the psu for the CX450 if you're looking for a place to save money. Also, I remember getting a 300R for ~$45 so the 200R for $47 might not be a good deal.

Also I have heard that you can save money with a budget like this by buying a cheap prebuilt with a decent CPU then putting a graphics card in it. I also don't really know anything about buying used parts if that could help.

You could save some money by buying something used from ebay / craigslist. Buying something like this would be a decent value. I only spent like 5 minutes searching for that one; you should be able to find a better system for about that price hopefully (preferably with a haswell i5/i7 or newer). Many of these types of computers are considered SFF and can only fit half height graphics cards so make sure you find one that supports full height gpus. Buying one of those, a good GPU and a new PSU (depending on the one that came with the computer) would probably save you a decent amount of money.

Just let me know what you think would be best.

Honestly either one would be a good option. Just keep in mind that you won't have a warranty if something goes wrong and the computer will already be ~4 years old if you go with a used computer.

Also I'm not factoring in the price of a monitor but he will need one so let me know if you know of a cheap 1080p monitor (probably under 100)

I'm not that into monitors so I don't know which is a good deal but here is a good place to start. 1080p + IPS can cost less than $100.