Laptop cooling mods

Lawliet93

What's up guys? A few months ago, I bought my hp omen 15 2016 laptop used for 600euros with a i7 6700HQ, GTX 965m refresh 4GB, 8GB of DDR4, 128GB SSD 1 1TB HDD...(what a deal, I know).

Right after I got it, I HAD TO do these mods.

1. Undervolting the CPU 

Did you know that Intel is using voltage profiles from the Haswell era on their Skylake and Kabylake CPUs? Those CPUs can be undervolted massively. Mine did -160mV and -145mV on the cache.

2. Changing the thermal paste 

I used coollaboratory liquid ultra pro (gonna use thermal grizzly in the future).

All this helped me to reduce the GPU Temperature to about 70°C under full load and the CPU never goes about 66°C. Woooow right? No... the laptop is still loud as hell, to the point, that not even headphones can help. 

So I ask you LTT community, can you help me make my laptop quieter? 

Dump your ideas, BIOS mods, HW mods and experiences into this topic.

Hope we will have some fun :-)

2 minutes ago, Lawliet93 said:

What's up guys? A few months ago, I bought my hp omen 15 2016 laptop used for 600euros with a i7 6700HQ, GTX 965m refresh 4GB, 8GB of DDR4, 128GB SSD 1 1TB HDD...(what a deal, I know).

Right after I got it, I HAD TO do these mods.

1. Undervolting the CPU 

Did you know that Intel is using voltage profiles from the Haswell era on their Skylake and Kabylake CPUs? Those CPUs can be undervolted massively. Mine did -160mV and -145mV on the cache.

2. Changing the thermal paste 

I used coollaboratory liquid ultra pro (gonna use thermal grizzly in the future).

All this helped me to reduce the GPU Temperature to about 70°C under full load and the CPU never goes about 66°C. Woooow right? No... the laptop is still loud as hell, to the point, that not even headphones can help. 

So I ask you LTT community, can you help me make my laptop quieter? 

Dump your ideas, BIOS mods, HW mods and experiences into this topic.

Hope we will have some fun :-)

My Alienware is noticeably quieter and somewhat cooler when sitting on something like a cooling pad.  It doesn't even need to be on, it just allows the fans to take in more air than it would just sitting on its normal rubber feet. 

Also, make sure there is NOTHING within 2 feet of the back of the laptop.  My old desk had a hutch, and the hot air had nowhere to go because of that back wall.  It made it run a bit hotter and louder.

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

My Alienware is noticeably quieter and somewhat cooler when sitting on something like a cooling pad.  It doesn't even need to be on, it just allows the fans to take in more air than it would just sitting on its normal rubber feet. 

Also, make sure there is NOTHING within 2 feet of the back of the laptop.  My old desk had a hutch, and the hot air had nowhere to go because of that back wall.  It made it run a bit hotter and louder.

Well it' s sitting on a coolermaster cooling pad with three fans (I never let m laptop sit on a flat surface)

Nothing is going to be quiet using the stock heat pipes.

You could decrease the timer resolution, limit the maximum cpu utilization, underclock the GPU, disable cores... Not much more aside from that, I'm afraid.

A cool project might be to extend the mounting point of the CPU with a copper block and have it interface with a custom cooling pad that's watercooled. That way you could have extra cooling performance at home, and still retain the functionality.

Another thing to add would be: don't underestimate software's role in all this. If you've got a bunch of crap going on all the time, the thing is going to sound like a jet engine no matter what you do. Cut the fat, and make it so that only what you run runs and nothing else.

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Nothing is going to be quiet using the stock heat pipes.

You could decrease the timer resolution, limit the maximum cpu utilization, underclock the GPU, disable cores... Not much more aside from that, I'm afraid.

A cool project might be to extend the mounting point of the CPU with a copper block and have it interface with a custom cooling pad that's watercooled. That way you could have extra cooling performance at home, and still retain the functionality.

Another thing to add would be: don't underestimate software's role in all this. If you've got a bunch of crap going on all the time, the thing is going to sound like a jet engine no matter what you do. Cut the fat, and make it so that only what you run runs and nothing else.

Well... it only gets loud when under gaming load. (not even rendering makes the fans ramp up). As I said, the GPU and CPU run very cool (70 and 66°C respectively). I am an experienced PC user (15 years since I bought my first one), I never have crap apps running on my PC. In my opinion, the problem might be HPs fan profile and I might be (or we might be) able to change that, cause... I have a lot of temperature overhead.

1 hour ago, Lawliet93 said:

Well it' s sitting on a coolermaster cooling pad with three fans (I never let m laptop sit on a flat surface)

Thinner gaming laptops, especially budget ones, have fans that get higher pitched. There isn't much you can do.  There is ONE THING you can do, but it takes away the laptop functionality.

Mount the internals in a case.  Basically, do what this dude did.  It'll be quieter and run EVEN cooler as you can add extra fans to the case.

4 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Thinner gaming laptops, especially budget ones, have fans that get higher pitched. There isn't much you can do.  There is ONE THING you can do, but it takes away the laptop functionality.

Mount the internals in a case.  Basically, do what this dude did.  It'll be quieter and run EVEN cooler as you can add extra fans to the case.

Nah...I'm not going to do that, because... the internals run as cool as if they were in a desktop. The fans are just to noisy and it has o do with HPs firmware and that should be possible to be changed.

13 minutes ago, Lawliet93 said:

Nah...I'm not going to do that, because... the internals run as cool as if they were in a desktop. The fans are just to noisy and it has o do with HPs firmware and that should be possible to be changed.

If you could change the fan profile, I would.  I would trade thermals for noise as they are low enough and have quite a bit of headroom.

4 hours ago, lilbman said:

If you could change the fan profile, I would.  I would trade thermals for noise as they are low enough and have quite a bit of headroom.

Exactly, the only thing is... How do you change the fan profile on a laptop? Is there an app for it? How about a hw mod, like undervolting the fan (I would change the voltage to 7,5V, which would reduce the fanspeed by like 35%) 

16 hours ago, Lawliet93 said:

Exactly, the only thing is... How do you change the fan profile on a laptop? Is there an app for it? How about a hw mod, like undervolting the fan (I would change the voltage to 7,5V, which would reduce the fanspeed by like 35%) 

HP MIGHT have their own software.  Another thing you could POSSIBLY do is disable the internal fans and build a custom cooler on the bottom with static pressure fans pulling air through the laptop.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2. 9. 2017 at 1:41 AM, lilbman said:

HP MIGHT have their own software.  Another thing you could POSSIBLY do is disable the internal fans and build a custom cooler on the bottom with static pressure fans pulling air through the laptop.

Well, I would not do that, because, I would like my laptop to be somewhat modular. What I will do is to change the thermal paste once again (thermal grizzly conductonaut), I will be adding copy heatsinks to the existing cooling system and also to the power delivery and GDDR5. I will be modding bottom panel of my laptop to increase the air-flow to the system and to have a possibility to ad an external GPU wish a minipci-e adapter. I would like to get my GPU temp to like 65°C and after that, I will add a custom bios and overclock my GPU to 1,4GHz 

15 hours ago, Lawliet93 said:

Well, I would not do that, because, I would like my laptop to be somewhat modular. What I will do is to change the thermal paste once again (thermal grizzly conductonaut), I will be adding copy heatsinks to the existing cooling system and also to the power delivery and GDDR5. I will be modding bottom panel of my laptop to increase the air-flow to the system and to have a possibility to ad an external GPU wish a minipci-e adapter. I would like to get my GPU temp to like 65°C and after that, I will add a custom bios and overclock my GPU to 1,4GHz 

Theres no way a 965M is overclocking to 1.4GHz.  Maybe the memory clock, but not the core clock.

7 hours ago, lilbman said:

Theres no way a 965M is overclocking to 1.4GHz.  Maybe the memory clock, but not the core clock.

Well, if you Google around, you will find that the gtx 965 can go up to 1,5GHz(with a custom bios, because the stock one only allows you to ad 135MHz),  it is basically a gtx 950 and we all know how that overclock 

• 5 months later...
Just now, arnoldyxs said:

IMG_0105.thumb.jpg.719f0bad1a05bcb4d0b3a2c38014909e.jpg

HP OMEN 17, intel 1770hq gtx 1070. unclocked cpu. at stock i reach 90+celsius temperature, now 80 max heavily gaming

47 minutes ago, arnoldyxs said:

HP OMEN 17, intel 1770hq gtx 1070. unclocked cpu. at stock i reach 90+celsius temperature, now 80 max heavily gaming

Hi, do you have more pictures? Or even better, do you have a guide about the process making this mod?

This picture is just to show other people how you can experiment with your loptop. I made it my self, with copper heatsink bought from aliexpress and with grill that i found in my drawer . the first thing was to cut a hole in my laptop, it was pretty easy because i have all the tools to do it. next step is to smooth all the corners i cut. 3th step is to add heatsink, it was difficult but with some glue(super moment) and thermal paste of course, heatsinks was holding just perfect.. final step to add grill. just measure size you need ant cut, cut little bigger, because you need to fit that grill tight in the laptop back. fit all up with some glue and your done. to me it look awesome.

On 28. 3. 2018 at 7:27 PM, arnoldyxs said:

This picture is just to show other people how you can experiment with your loptop. I made it my self, with copper heatsink bought from aliexpress and with grill that i found in my drawer . the first thing was to cut a hole in my laptop, it was pretty easy because i have all the tools to do it. next step is to smooth all the corners i cut. 3th step is to add heatsink, it was difficult but with some glue(super moment) and thermal paste of course, heatsinks was holding just perfect.. final step to add grill. just measure size you need ant cut, cut little bigger, because you need to fit that grill tight in the laptop back. fit all up with some glue and your done. to me it look awesome.

Did you undervolt your cpu? Have you changed your thermal paste for some liquid metal? What temperature is your GPU running at? Any pointers or words of advice you could give me before I try to do something similar?