HDD System Reserved

I am trying to help a friend out by trying to fix his laptop (Lenove U400 Ideapad). The laptop doesn't boot and it asks if I want to "Launch Startup Repair" or "Start Windows Normally." Whichever option I pick, it just black screens the laptop. I took out the HDD and hooked it up to my laptop via USB; it is showing it as drive G and a "System Reserved" drive. The System Reserved drive is most likely the OS partition of the 500GB HDD. Drive G on the other hand will not open. 

Since he already has all the documents from that laptop backed up, is it possible to wipe the HDD, and reinstall Win 7 on it (Product key still legible from underneath the laptop)? If so, how do I completely wipe the drive. If not, what are my options? I did tell him that he can buy a 500GB SSD and a Window key from Kinguin but he is not interested in it since he thinks might as well buy a new one.

Any help is appreciated.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Since he already has all the documents from that laptop backed up, is it possible to wipe the HDD, and reinstall Win 7 on it (Product key still legible from underneath the laptop)? If so, how do I completely wipe the drive. If not, what are my options?

Yes and you can do it during the install process. When you get to the point where it asks you were to install Windows, use the "Delete" option to wipe out the OS drive then select "New" and Windows will set up the HDD.

Also the System Reserved partition is likely the bootloader. Windows from Vista on will always create this on new installs.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes and you can do it during the install process. When you get to the point where it asks you were to install Windows, use the "Delete" option to wipe out the OS drive then select "New" and Windows will set up the HDD.

Also the System Reserved partition is likely the bootloader. Windows from Vista on will always create this on new installs.

So I can just download the Win 7 ISO on a USB and, reinstall it with the laptops product key?