Xbox one controller turns off immediately with steam running

Go to solution Solved by Changis,

I finally found the file.. i couldn't find the original forum post, so i can't credit my original source, but anyway;

XINPUT1_4.DLL (rar'ed)

extract and put this file in the root of steam directory and your controller should work as it should without disconnecting immediately after connecting

My Xbox one controller disconnects immediately after turning on if steam is running. i have spent over a week googling this problem and tried all the tricks i could find on the net that linked it to geforce experience, vive/oculus (which i don't have) and some other programs as well as steam, but they either didn't work or only worked once and you had to repeat after every restart.

now i actually have had and fixed this problem before, i found a forum post with a dll file you put in steam root that fixed it permanently, but i can't for the life of me remember what it was called or where i found it.. all i can find are the above mentioned workarounds.

does anyone here know about this file and provide a link or point me in the right direction atleast?

Edited by Changis
clarified that i have searched for the solution

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

12 minutes ago, Changis said:

My Xbox one controller disconnects immediately after turning on if steam is running. i tried all the tricks i could find on the net that linked it to geforce experience, vive/oculus (which i don't have) and some other programs as well as steam, but they either didn't work or only worked once and you had to repeat after every restart.

now i actually have had and fixed this problem before, i found a forum post with a dll file you put in steam root that fixed it permanently, but i can't for the life of me remember what it was called or where i found it.. all i can find are the above mentioned workarounds.

does anyone here know about this file and provide a link or point me in the right direction atleast?

If its over a dongle, thats a weak point. If its over USB Type C, then its software issue. Just search your problem in Google and a result should come up that can help

2 minutes ago, NovaMan01 said:

If its over a dongle, thats a weak point. If its over USB Type C, then its software issue. Just search your problem in Google and a result should come up that can help

it's dongle, and i know there is a fix that worked flawlessly for me, a dll file, but i've spent a week trying to find it so i was hoping someone here knew about it and where i could find it.. i'm still searching myself, but 99.99% of the answers are basically similar.. in a way i'm looking for a particular needle in a giant needlestack

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

Just now, Changis said:

it's dongle, and i know there is a fix that worked flawlessly for me, a dll file, but i've spent a week trying to find it so i was hoping someone here knew about it and where i could find it.. i'm still searching myself, but 99.99% of the answers are basically similar.. in a way i'm looking for a particular needle in a giant needlestack

I would search around for a USB Type C connector. Itll be much more reliable, and if you dont have one they are $5

Just now, NovaMan01 said:

I would search around for a USB Type C connector. Itll be much more reliable, and if you dont have one they are $5

a dll file worked flawlessly.. it's free and works with my current wireless setup, why would i pay to have my wireless controller wired?
besides my pc is next to my tv and would require a 3m usb-c cable which would be in the way.

as i stated before, i know there is a simple fix for my issue, i already had and fixed this poblem before my last reinstall.. i just can't find the post where i found it. nor remember what it was called.. and most idiotic of all, i didn't back it up and left it in my download folder (RIP)

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

a dll file worked flawlessly.. it's free and works with my current wireless setup, why would i pay to have my wireless controller wired?
besides my pc is next to my tv and would require a 3m usb-c cable which would be in the way.

as i stated before, i know there is a simple fix for my issue, i already had and fixed this poblem before my last reinstall.. i just can't find the post where i found it. nor remember what it was called.. and most idiotic of all, i didn't back it up and left it in my download folder (RIP)

Ok thats a fair point. I dont know where the .dll file is. Im bored so i can try and dig up that post. When approximately did you have this issue before?

2 minutes ago, NovaMan01 said:

Ok thats a fair point. I dont know where the .dll file is. Im bored so i can try and dig up that post. When approximately did you have this issue before?

around spring, so not long ago.. it was some guy that figured out that there was something with the "controller controller" and posted a dll that fixed it.. the post was buried in one of the thousands of forum threads which basically has the same title... 

if i find the answer i'll post it here and even host a copy to download on my google drive or something for anyone else having the same problem

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

around spring, so not long ago.. it was some guy that figured out that there was something with the "controller controller" and posted a dll that fixed it.. the post was buried in one of the thousands of forum threads which basically has the same title... 

if i find the answer i'll post it here and even host a copy to download on my google drive or something for anyone else having the same problem

Eyy check this: 

Just now, NovaMan01 said:

Eyy check this: 

tried, tested, no change.. thanks for the suggestion, but like my original post says, iv'e basically tried everything suggested i have found..
also the whole reason for finding this dll is so i don't have to remove batteries or connect cables or restart or do anything else than just turn on the controller everytime i want to play.

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

tried, tested, no change.. thanks for the suggestion, but like my original post says, iv'e basically tried everything suggested i have found..
also the whole reason for finding this dll is so i don't have to remove batteries or connect cables or restart or do anything else than just turn on the controller everytime i want to play.

Ok. Im still rummaging your old posts to try and find it

1 minute ago, NovaMan01 said:

Ok. Im still rummaging your old posts to try and find it

it's not here on linus tech tips forums.. it's a single post in a forum thread somewhere on the internet.. (not by me)

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

it's not here on linus tech tips forums.. it's a single post in a forum thread somewhere on the internet..

Oh rip. Ill still look

3 minutes ago, Changis said:

it's not here on linus tech tips forums.. it's a single post in a forum thread somewhere on the internet..

Ugh i cant find it. Im sorry

1 minute ago, NovaMan01 said:

Ugh i cant find it. Im sorry

if it was just an easy google search, i would have found it already ;) i've spent over a week trying to find it

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

I finally found the file.. i couldn't find the original forum post, so i can't credit my original source, but anyway;

XINPUT1_4.DLL (rar'ed)

extract and put this file in the root of steam directory and your controller should work as it should without disconnecting immediately after connecting

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler