PC Just keeps, dying

mider

So my PC for some reason, at any given point, will just turn white on both monitors, and the HDD LED will turn off, but the pc stays powered on.  Lost a lot of schoolwork and got cooldowns for a lot of csgo games because of this.  Been happening on and off for about a year, but getting worse now! A couple people told me in another thread that it was my PSU.  Spent my hard-earned dollars on a PSU and it still hasn't resolved my issue.  I wanted to make sure of what it was before I buy anything else.  Feel free to ask me for any diagnostic info I can provide for you.  I'll be home all week.  PC breakdown is in my Signature

Thanks for any replies

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

4 minutes ago, Jskn said:

Are the voltages stable and correct?

Of what, and how do I check them

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

3 minutes ago, mider said:

Of what, and how do I check them

If you go into bios, you can usually see the voltages and the 12, 5, and 3.3. They should be about exact and fluctuate tiny bits every 15-50 seconds. If they are flying around or fluctuating too much, it freaks out windows. 

Just now, Jskn said:

If you go into bios, you can usually see the voltages and the 12, 5, and 3.3. They should be about exact and fluctuate tiny bits every 15-50 seconds. If they are flying around or fluctuating too much, it freaks out windows. 

Okay thanks will do this now

9 minutes ago, Jskn said:

Okay so my 12V is at 12.168v; My 5V is at 4.980v; and my 3.3V is at 3.284v.  I've had it open for about five minutes now and the numbers haven't changed at all

10 minutes ago, mider said:

Okay so my 12V is at 12.168v; My 5V is at 4.980v; and my 3.3V is at 3.284v.  I've had it open for about five minutes now and the numbers haven't changed at all

Ok those seem fine actually. The difference you want at atx spec is 5%.  Is there anything in event viewer?

5 minutes ago, Jskn said:

Ok those seem fine actually. The difference you want at atx spec is 5%.  Is there anything in event viewer?

Doesn't look like there is from when it happened about 45 minutes ago.  I'm wondering if this is some kind of hardware issue because the HDD led goes out so could something suddenly short or not receive power?

Just now, mider said:

Doesn't look like there is from when it happened about 45 minutes ago.  I'm wondering if this is some kind of hardware issue because the HDD led goes out so could something suddenly short or not receive power?

It could be just power not going the hdd. Have you tried putting it on a different wire from your psu?

2 minutes ago, Jskn said:

It could be just power not going the hdd. Have you tried putting it on a different wire from your psu?

Yes.  I tried my old PSU and still this happens.  Could my MOBO be shorting or something... I mean because my only thought is that it has to be with the motherboard because the only thing that still works afterword is my Graphics Card, but it doesn't receive a signal.  My USB devices all stop and I can hear All 3 HDDs stop spinning.  But the only thing to continue to work is my Graphics Card, which just shows white, but still that shows that it is receiving power

It could be. Do you have a second computer to test it with?  I just stole my brothers desktop a few times to check stuff. 

1 minute ago, Jskn said:

It could be. Do you have a second computer to test it with?  I just stole my brothers desktop a few times to check stuff. 

not put together but i have a spare Graphics Card, PSU, and i guess i could boot off of an ubuntu Flash Drive

1 minute ago, mider said:

not put together but i have a spare Graphics Card, PSU, and i guess i could boot off of an ubuntu Flash Drive

What psu is this?

Edit:say system specs instead time saver

Just now, Jskn said:

What psu is this?

Corsair Builder 500W.  It was the one I was using in this PC before

always best to just remove hardware one by one and see if the problem stops.

If you have a gut feeling about that hard drive like you're saying, try removing it and putting something else in there for a while to test. Then try removing the GPU, sticks of ram, etc. Hard drives aren't expensive so you could always pick up a cheap one and test with that.

The problem could very well be the motherboard like you're fearing though which you can't really test like this so test everything else by removing them and if it still doesn't work, it is the mobo or the CPU I guess.

4 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

always best to just remove hardware one by one and see if the problem stops.

If you have a gut feeling about that hard drive like you're saying, try removing it and putting something else in there for a while to test. Then try removing the GPU, sticks of ram, etc. Hard drives aren't expensive so you could always pick up a cheap one and test with that.

The problem could very well be the motherboard like you're fearing though which you can't really test like this so test everything else by removing them and if it still doesn't work, it is the mobo or the CPU I guess.

The only thing is... It happens randomly.  So might build a new junk PC changing the parts to see if it happens, But I'll never know.  Looks like im just gonna have to save up to swap parts out.  My PC is pretty old anyway

5 hours ago, Jskn said:

Edit:say system specs instead time saver

In Signature

13 hours ago, mider said:

The only thing is... It happens randomly.  So might build a new junk PC changing the parts to see if it happens, But I'll never know.  Looks like im just gonna have to save up to swap parts out.  My PC is pretty old anyway

I feel you. It's really annoying when you have to wait a long time to see if the problem comes back.

you could still try some stuff. 

1. disable overclocking 

2. try your ubuntu flash drive, boot it up and play something like a 12 hour youtube video and see if it freezes

3. reinstall windows

She/Her