Samsung Open Source HDR10+

wogleb12
Go to solution Solved by themctipers,

it was samsung owned?!

also you need quotes.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/08/22/samsung-will-make-hdr10-technology-open-source-year/
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170821000664&ACE_SEARCH=1

Samsung will make its HDR10+ technology open source this year

Finally HDR10+ open source, now content creators and 3d creatives can normalize there type of HDR and get cheaper HDR Content and Screens

“Although it is our proprietary technology, we decided to provide it as an open source with an aim to lead competition for standardization of TV technologies" the executive said. 

it was samsung owned?!

also you need quotes.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

it was samsung owned?!

also you need quotes.

the last sentence is a quote

Just now, wogleb12 said:

the last sentence is a quote

fix for night theme

6 minutes ago, wogleb12 said:

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/08/22/samsung-will-make-hdr10-technology-open-source-year/
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170821000664&ACE_SEARCH=1

Samsung will make its HDR10+ technology open source this year

Finally HDR10+ open source, now content creators and 3d creatives can normalize there type of HDR and get cheaper HDR Content and Screens

“Although it is our proprietary technology, we decided to provide it as an open source with an aim to lead competition for standardization of TV technologies"

you also need to use 

these

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

If I understand things correctly, here is what has happened.

• HDR10 was created.
  • Dolby Vision came out (was already out?) and was technically superior to HDR10 in some regards.
  • Samsung and Amazon teamed up and created HDR10+ to address some of the shortcomings of HDR10.
  • HDR10+ is a royalty-free and open standard that anyone could use. For example, it is supported by x265 already.
  • Samsung is now releasing their implementation as open source so that developers don't have to spend as much time and money writing their own implementation.

So really good news if you ask me. We need more free(as in freedom and free beer) standards for codecs. None of this proprietary bullshit Dolby and some other companies are pushing. We don't want to end up in a situation where we got several competing standards which just confuses consumers, nor do we want a monopoly where everyone who consumes content has to pay a royalty to someone.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If I understand things correctly, here is what has happened.

• HDR10 was created.
  • Dolby Vision came out (was already out?) and was technically superior to HDR10 in some regards.
  • Samsung and Amazon teamed up and created HDR10+ to address some of the shortcomings of HDR10.
  • HDR10+ is a royalty-free and open standard that anyone could use. For example, it is supported by x265 already.
  • Samsung is now releasing their implementation as open source so that developers don't have to spend as much time and money writing their own implementation.

So really good news if you ask me. We need more free(as in freedom and free beer) standards for codecs. None of this proprietary bullshit Dolby and some other companies are pushing. We don't want to end up in a situation where we got several competing standards which just confuses consumers, nor do we want a monopoly where everyone who consumes content has to pay a royalty to someone.

Yeah, also Dolby being higher end standard which would be a problem for monitor manufacturers and cost etc. to become so mainstream. So HDR10 is a very good standard a go to as of now, and HDR10+ to be extension of it. I guess you could compare Dolby one as FLAC and HDR10 as MP3 heh. 

I'm just glad that we have somewhat of a standard for HDR monitors and that it's a thing on monitors. 

Proprietary standard would definitelly be bs for such. But there needs to be clear one and not diluted confusion. 

So I guess HDR10/+ being more than good enough now to say the least vs like Dolby for example. 1000nits vs 10000nits and 10bit vs 12bit standards. Moniors with HDR just are here now and are premium price so still time to pass untill we see them in like every other monitor. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I guess you could compare Dolby one as FLAC and HDR10 as MP3 heh. 

Except kind of flipped since flac is a free open standard, and MP3 is the proprietary standard with insane licensing fees.

22 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah you understand correctly. HDR10+ is basically HDR10 extended with dynamic metadata and a couple other small things. Dynamic Metadata is the big one though.

The issue with pushing everyone to open standards is some of the insane patents Dolby and DTS have though. I don't see them disappearing anytime soon, even though certifications of open standards (e.g. how THX did it before their Razer buyout, and I think still does it) are a more modern approach.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Except kind of flipped since flac is a free open standard, and MP3 is the proprietary standard with insane licensing fees.

Yeah in that way yes, meant it as in quality compare.

Also HDR10+ having dynamic tone mapping is a good improvement.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Neat.

Or3Nge0.gif

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS