Ram issue

StutterAndLag
Go to solution Solved by Biggerboot,
1 minute ago, InertiaSelling said:

There's a reason why RAM is often bought in kits. Sometimes upgrading down the road works, sometimes it doesn't. Similar sticks may not be identical, I've heard of seemingly identical sticks with different PCB colours. Also, check if each kit works individually, in each set of slots.

Since the same newegg page offers the same RAM in dual and quad channel, I don't think that's the problem.  I've definitely seen what you've described but a Ryzen with no bios updates is known to have issues with RAM.

I would honestly suggest the easiest fixes first.  Try the RAM swap if you want.

So I just installed 2 more ram sticks. All together it should equal 32gb. it was kinda sketchy putting it in, not gonna lie. Had to push down pretty hard to get them in place, tight squeeze. Anyways, after going into task manager its saying that I have 32gb memory at the top right, then right under it I have 15.9 memory usage. Not sure what that means. here is a SS. Btw, all the lights are lighting up just fine for them, they are g.skrill.

The picture is under task manager, under the performance tab.

Ram issue.PNG

This is windows 10 btw. Just had this computer built about 2 months ago. I just put the new ram in today, but I must of put it in correct if its showing up right?

"Detected but not usable" makes it look like your kits don't work well with each other. Have you tried different speed settings ? Switching channels ? Resetting CMOS ? Checking each slot with a single stick ? Also, what is your motherboard ? Since your CPU is high-end and recent, it's unlikely that you're using one that is capped at 16gb, but you might as well check that. Good luck.

Just now, InertiaSelling said:

"Detected but not usable" makes it look like your kits don't work well with each other. Have you tried different speed settings ? Switching channels ? Resetting CMOS ? Checking each slot with a single stick ? Also, what is your motherboard ? Since your CPU is high-end and recent, it's unlikely that you're using one that is capped at 16gb, but you might as well check that. Good luck.

I mean they are both g.skill same exact thing. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232476     this is my motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132989

2 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

I haven't tried any of that other stuff. I just wanna make sure that I didn't do anything wrong. The lights are lighting up just fine, now with that being said, 2 of them look like they are in color sync, while the other 2 are in color sync. 

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Before troubleshooting the RAM/Mobo, run msconfig real quick.  

Go to the boot tab -> Advanced Options, and make sure Max Memory is unchecked.

Checked it, its unchecked. 

Could you specify the motherboard and RAM?  Down to the model-no.  I would basically just start to investigate and see if the RAM has known issues with that board (maybe a firmware fix).  I don't think it's a physical issue.

Resetting CMOS or updating your bios may work, but I would just start by reading compatibility charts on the mobo site and such.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232476     this is my motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132989

thats my ram and motherboard. That's all I know as far as that. Idk what resetting CMOS is, but I can try that. Same with updating bios. I didn't build this computer, I paid someone to do it, but something so simple I really don't wanna pay anyone.

8 minutes ago, StutterAndLag said:

I mean they are both g.skill same exact thing.

There's a reason why RAM is often bought in kits. Sometimes upgrading down the road works, sometimes it doesn't. Similar sticks may not be identical, I've heard of seemingly identical sticks with different PCB colours. Also, check if each kit works individually, in each set of slots.

Ill try putting them in different slots but wanna make sure that its not anything else, cause they where a bitch to put in lol.

Since the same newegg page offers the same RAM in dual and quad channel, I don't think that's the problem.  I've definitely seen what you've described but a Ryzen with no bios updates is known to have issues with RAM.

I would honestly suggest the easiest fixes first.  Try the RAM swap if you want.

Just now, Biggerboot said:

kk Im gonna swap 2 of them. Ill let you know how it goes :) 

Just now, Biggerboot said:

a Ryzen with no bios updates is known to have issues with RAM.

You're right, I hadn't taken that into account. My bad. I wouldn't consider a BIOS update to be amongst the "easy fixes that should be tried before swapping" though.

5 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

You're right, I hadn't taken that into account. My bad. I wouldn't consider a BIOS update to be amongst the "easy fixes that should be tried before swapping" though.

With

Asus EZ FLASH 3 TM

It is... I think?  It use to be one of those things that was easy to mess up, but more manufacturers are making it safer.

I would say try it next.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012815/

4 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

With

It is... I think?  It use to be one of those things that was easy to mess up, but more manufacturers are making it safer.

I would say try it next.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012815/

8 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

Love you 2 <3 it now shows 31.9 gb :) All is working now :) All I did was swap 2 of them. and I made sure to push really hard to make sure it was in and matched how the other 2 looked. Thank you again!