NVMe SSD Question

JBOP@)

So I'm looking to get a new SSD, and m.2 is the only thing that'll fit atm.

I have an amd fx 8350 with an Asus M5A97 2.0 (not L.E.) and I want to put a PCIe card in with an nvme drive. I'm looking at these. Will they work together with my system?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815256014&cm_re=sst-ecm20-_-15-256-014-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820250084

It seems they will work for your system. I guess you have a graphics card on the first PCIe 16x slot, so you will put them on the second 16x slot (which is a 16x in form factor, but just a 4x slot electrically).

First thing to be aware of is with your system, the SSD will not run at maximum expectation in term of Sequential Read and Write. NVMe based SSD are made to run on PCIe 4x 3.0, which has a theoritical maximum bandwith of 4GB/s but your motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0 which has 2GB/s maximum bandwith. Nothing to whorry tho, everything else will perform the same either on PCIe2.0 or 3.0 except for maximum bandwith.

Second thing, which can be very important, is, i guess, that you want to install your windows system on it ? If yes, i didn't find any information that your motherboard can boot on NVMe storage. If you don't plan to install windows on it, you will be able to access to your storage space with the appropriate driver (which are included in windows 10).

So would I be able to reinstall windows on it or not? I have it on a mechanical HDD right now, which isn't very fast.

You would be able to install it, not to boot on it. Which would be useless. I'm trying to find something about booting on NVMe storage on your board, but i doubt there is support in the UEFI without a lot of manipulation in the actual UEFI (which can brake everything if done wrong, so i do not recommand that)

Would I still be able to install programs on it?

You won't be able to boot from the NVMe and you'll be choking the drive at 2.0 x4.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The drive wouldn't suffer, your just cutting off 50% of the write and read speed, basically.

You would do better by taking a SATA based SSD and installing windows on it. You would get much more of your purchase than just being able to put programs on your NVMe SSD