12GB RAM enough?

Go to solution Solved by AlTech,
Just now, Atalia Chez said:

Looked into memory settings and it was written that "1 out of 4 slots used" for RAM.

What about RAM latency?

How do I know my current RAM`s latency?

Latency doesn't matter except if you're buying RAM of different latencies. The easiest solution to this problem is to buy the exact same kit of RAM you originally bought and occupy the DIMM slot that your motherboard manual dictates that you should use.

I own acer E5 575G. It came with 8GB RAM. I was thinking maybe if it is a good idea to upgrade to 12GB of RAM? Currently with Visual studio, firefox with 3-5 tabs opened and few apps running in background like Geforce expeirence and stuff. In the end, at average there is about 4.3 GB of useable RAM left.

Should I upgrade or not?

Currently RAM config is 8x1

I am thinking of 8x1 and 4x1. Is it a good config?

And yeah, sometimes I do play game.  Thinking about future proofing aswell. I can get a 4GB DDRR 2400Mhz SODIMM stick for $35.

the config might not work as from what i know you have to have the same amount of ram, model, manufacturer as the current stick of memory you have otherwise you might run into issues with start up.

Increasing ram when you aren't using all of your ram won't increase the performance of your machine.  If you are doing something or plan on doing something that uses 100% of your ram, then you should upgrade.

20 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

I own acer E5 575G. It came with 8GB RAM. I was thinking maybe if it is a good idea to upgrade to 12GB of RAM? Currently with Visual studio, firefox with 3-5 tabs opened and few apps running in background like Geforce expeirence and stuff. In the end, at average there is about 4.3 GB of useable RAM left.

Should I upgrade or not?

Currently RAM config is 8x1

I am thinking of 8x1 and 4x1. Is it a good config?

And yeah, sometimes I do play game.  Thinking about future proofing aswell. I can get a 4GB DDRR 2400Mhz SODIMM stick for $35.

If you're gonna go with 4GB + 8GB, you might as well go the extra step and do 8GB + 8GB.

(Personally, I have a 4GB + 4GB + 4GB + 4GB RAM setup)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you're gonna go with 4GB + 8GB, you might as well go the extra step and do 8GB + 8GB.

(Personally, I have a 4GB + 4GB + 4GB + 4GB RAM setup)

I would have gone with that but that is double the price of a 4GB stick. I am not really willing spend that much on it. Few people said that it would not cause any problem with 4+8 RAM config. I am no still sure.

I think when we talk about ram configs it all falls to dual channel memory stuff like that. I was also told that I would not notice any 'performance' improvement in gaming. (I don`t care about games).

will work fine, just be sure that your motherboard is compatible with the ram. 12gb will work better even for window that  will use less the page file.

I would have gone with that but that is double the price of a 4GB stick.

Well yeah, an 8GB stick is 2x more expensive than 4GB. That's how it works.

I am not really willing spend that much on it.

Going from 8GB to 12GB is not a significant gain. The real gain comes from 8GB to 16GB.

Also, if you don't have the money for 16GB then wait to have the money?

You shouldn't mismatch RAM capacity, speed or manufacturer. It's not the industry standard practice and it's not recommended by any RAM manufacturer.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, JeJaRaLa said:

will work fine, just be sure that your motherboard is compatible with the ram. 12gb will work better even for window that  will use less the page file.

Looked into memory settings and it was written that "1 out of 4 slots used" for RAM.

What about RAM latency?

What about RAM latency?

cpuz, aida, speccy

they show the speed and the ram latency of you ram

What about RAM latency?

Latency doesn't matter except if you're buying RAM of different latencies. The easiest solution to this problem is to buy the exact same kit of RAM you originally bought and occupy the DIMM slot that your motherboard manual dictates that you should use.

2 minutes ago, JeJaRaLa said:

cpuz, aida, speccy

they show the speed and the ram latency of you ram

This is what it is showing.

Capture2.PNG

16 minutes ago, Atalia Chez said:

This is what it is showing.

Capture2.PNG

that tab show the  speed  and latency  you ram  is currently working (1064x2 =2100mhz), the next tab SPD  will show the other speed your ram can work and the manufacter brand too

if you buy another ram buy  one that have 2133 Mhz  will be the same of  the one you have , that isnt necesary   normaly the fastest ram will slow down to match the slowest ram