Adapter for this SSD.

Go to solution Solved by Changis,
Just now, Jengo said:

I found this one:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/382084890512?clk_rvr_id=1284507692704&vectorid=229543&lgeo=1&item=382084890512&rmvSB=true
It lists the SSD I have as being compatible, but there are a different amount of pins? Do you have any knowledge on this, were the extra pins added for some other models, but still allows for backwards compatibility?

its a rarely used connector called XM11 (recognized the name from the print on the adapter)
if it is listed as compatible, it should work. they may use a standard connector wired for XM11..
i'm not overly familliar with them other than we had some customers where i used to work who had them and it was impossible for us to get backups from them as we didn't have an adapter at the time

Hello.

I have this SSD, se pictures.

Looking it up, it comes up with it being an msata SSD. However, when I try to find an adapter they don't seem to have the correct pins, or even the correct screw position.
What am I missing? does anyone have any idea of an adapter that might work?

20840301_861004847385108_1226616491_n.jpg.d23dd0a51b2a915b626958a5ff6eb1ef.jpgCapture.JPG.7ee4f4ab326b3445db671de352fbe22d.JPG

Thank you for taking a look :)

Pretty sure any mSATA should work...

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, Jengo said:

Hello.

I have this SSD, se pictures.

Looking it up, it comes up with it being an msata SSD. However, when I try to find an adapter they don't seem to have the correct pins, or even the correct screw position.
What am I missing? does anyone have any idea of an adapter that might work?

20840301_861004847385108_1226616491_n.jpg.d23dd0a51b2a915b626958a5ff6eb1ef.jpgCapture.JPG.7ee4f4ab326b3445db671de352fbe22d.JPG

Thank you for taking a look :)

no.. it looks similar but it's not an m2, i think it's the same type apple uses/used, some thin asus laptops also used this type of drive..

it won't work in m2 connectors, the pinouts are different. it might even short circuit or overheat if you try

there might be an adapter for it, but that would mean not using it in a m2 slot (either due to adapter or size differnce with adapter on)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

5 minutes ago, Changis said:

no.. it looks similar but it's not an m2, i think it's the same type apple uses/used, some thin asus laptops also used this type of drive..

it won't work in m2 connectors, the pinouts are different. it might even short circuit or overheat if you try

there might be an adapter for it, but that would mean not using it in a m2 slot (either due to adapter or size differnce with adapter on)

I agree with you there, and you might be right, got the disk off a friend who said it was from a pc where the screen died. But all the adapters out there seem to be 8+18 pin, while this one is 6+12 pin. But I guess there might be one for sale in the depths of ebay.

I agree with you there, and you might be right, got the disk off a friend who said it was from a pc where the screen died. But all the adapters out there seem to be 8+18 pin, while this one is 6+12 pin. But I guess there might be one for sale in the depths of ebay.

might be from a  ASUS UX31.. they used this type of drive

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

2 minutes ago, Changis said:

might be from a  ASUS UX31.. they used this type of drive

I found this one:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/382084890512?clk_rvr_id=1284507692704&vectorid=229543&lgeo=1&item=382084890512&rmvSB=true
It lists the SSD I have as being compatible, but there are a different amount of pins? Do you have any knowledge on this, were the extra pins added for some other models, but still allows for backwards compatibility?

Just now, Jengo said:

I found this one:

its a rarely used connector called XM11 (recognized the name from the print on the adapter)
if it is listed as compatible, it should work. they may use a standard connector wired for XM11..
i'm not overly familliar with them other than we had some customers where i used to work who had them and it was impossible for us to get backups from them as we didn't have an adapter at the time

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

I'll give it a go and see what happens, thanks for the help :)

I'll give it a go and see what happens, thanks for the help :)

you can probably find them even cheaper on aliexpress or similar sites, though shipping (even though free) will probably take longer. but it doesn't hurt, and they aren't usually that expensive.
screenshot the ebay page, especially the "compatible with" section so you can complain if it doesn't work.. unless the seller already provides a return policy

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Changis said:

It is the connector used by Apple SSD

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

2 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

It is the connector used by Apple SSD

i know i might have assumed it in the beginning, but after searching a bit after this, i don't think so actually.. it might look identical, but you don't see apple ssd's supported by anything with xm11, nor will you find any "apple ssd adapter" with xm11 support.. and apple ssd's apparently have different adapters depending on the model the ssd is for.. most likely similar connector with apple propietary wiring or something.. (atleast seems very much like something apple would do.. "WHAT? cheaply upgrade an ssd in our tiny laptops?" *maniacal laugh* "release the hounds!"

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/8/2017 at 5:49 PM, Changis said:

Results are in!

I got this adapter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Asus-UX31-UX21-Sandisk-SDSA5JK-ADATA-XM11-SSD-To-2-5-SATA-Adapter-Card/382084890512?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It works perfectly, apart from the plastic divider being to big, but a bit of work with a pair of pliers and it was no longer a problem.
Put it in my PC, formatted it and it worked. As to what PC it was in originally, it was in an Asus Ultrabook. (Asked the guy I got the SSD from, though he did not know the exact model)

Thank you all for the help :)