M.2 or SSD?

EuphoricLlama
Go to solution Solved by MrDrWho13,
5 minutes ago, EuphoricLlama said:

I'm building a new PC and my original plan was just to stick a single 1Tb 850 EVO SSD in there so that I don't have to faff around with multiple drives but then I saw that there are also 1Tb Samsung m.2 drives for £35 more (£310 instead of £275) so I'm now wondering if:

1) The m.2 will be significantly faster once the pc has booted

2) the m.2 will be any more reliable than a ssd because this drive absolutely cannot fail

It's also worth mentioning I won't really be using this PC for gaming and its mainly going to be a workstation so load times for games is unimportant for me. 

If anyone can recommend one or the other I would be very grateful

You need to remember that all drives fail. No drive is perfect so you should always have at least one backup of important data.

If I were to build a new system I'd go with a 500GB SSD (M.2 PCIe if you can afford it but SATA is also good) and then a 1-2TB HDD for file storage because you don't need the speed for these so it would be more money for less space if you went with just an SSD.

I'm building a new PC and my original plan was just to stick a single 1Tb 850 EVO SSD in there so that I don't have to faff around with multiple drives but then I saw that there are also 1Tb Samsung m.2 drives for £35 more (£310 instead of £275) so I'm now wondering if:

2) the m.2 will be any more reliable than a ssd because this drive absolutely cannot fail

It's also worth mentioning I won't really be using this PC for gaming and its mainly going to be a workstation so load times for games is unimportant for me. 

5 minutes ago, EuphoricLlama said:

You need to remember that all drives fail. No drive is perfect so you should always have at least one backup of important data.

If I were to build a new system I'd go with a 500GB SSD (M.2 PCIe if you can afford it but SATA is also good) and then a 1-2TB HDD for file storage because you don't need the speed for these so it would be more money for less space if you went with just an SSD.

I edit my posts a lot.

3 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

You need to remember that all drives fail. No drive is perfect so you should always have a backup of important data.

Is there a way that you know of that I could make it so all files/downloads automatically go to the HDD then because I really don't want to have to manually designate everything?

Just now, EuphoricLlama said:

Is there a way that you know of that I could make it so all files/downloads automatically go to the HDD then because I really don't want to have to manually designate everything?

I wrote this guide a while ago for exactly that: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/629590-windows-10-wont-reset/#comment-8131454

For downloads you need to go into your browser's settings and point it to your HDD. After that it's all automatic.

I edit my posts a lot.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

I wrote this guide a while ago for exactly that: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/629590-windows-10-wont-reset/#comment-8131454

For downloads you need to go into your browser's settings and point it to your HDD. After that it's all automatic.

Wow, thanks. That helps a lot 

In that case I may go for a 500gb ssd and 2tb hard drive then if it really is that simple.

Remember that M.2 is just a form factor like 2.5 inch

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Remember that M.2 is just a form factor like 2.5 inch

Bingo. Being M.2 is not a guarantee that it's faster. Many laptops nowadays use M.2 drives for their smaller form factor and their performance is exactly the same as with SSD drives. Pay attention to the specs before you opt for one.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000