Migrate linux mint installation to different laptop and boot drive

i managed to bring my beloved thinkpad X220 back from the dead and it's better than ever because i replaced the horrible TN screen with an IPS panel and did some other upgrades. (it even got three extra usb 3.0 ports now)

anyways, i pulled the 2.5" SSD from my previous laptop and put it into the X220 and the linux mint install on that SSD worked on the new hardware without a hitch.

now the X220 can take a mSATA drive in addition to the 2.5" so my plan is to use a 32gb mSATA as the new boot drive and move everything over except /home.

the question is: is there an easy way to move the boot and swap partitions to the mSATA drive without a fresh install while keeping /home on the 2.5" drive?

or can i make a backup that does not only contain my files but also my settings, installed programs and the ppa repositories i added for software not found on the default repositories

so basically a backup of everything i have done since the original install so i can do another fresh install but only need to do a few mouse clicks to have my system back exactly how it is now?

Cloning your drive should do the tric

Acronis disk imaging is great but you have to buy it.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

25 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Cloning your drive should do the tric

Acronis disk imaging is great but you have to buy it.

cloning would copy everything to the mSATA including /home wich is over 180 GB large ... good luck "cloning" that to a 32GB drive ... everything else is under 30 GB total so that should fit just fine