Minecraft server

Walt

Hi everyone,

In every tutorial on how to make a minecraft server they make a start file (start.command on macOS). But where is this for? If you just open the Jar file it does the same. 

I'm asking this because my start.command file on macOS isn't working.

Can someone explain why you need to do this?

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

In every tutorial on how to make a minecraft server they make a start file (start.command on macOS). But where is this for? If you just open the Jar file it does the same. 

I'm asking this because my start.command file on macOS isn't working.

Can someone explain why you need to do this?

Thanks!

IIRC you can pass flags to it like how much memory it can use. 

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Similar to windows, it you can make a batch file with different parameters. As @lufihengr said, you can increase the server memory which is recommended.

with spigot/bukkit, you cannot do it (i tried before, no work) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I actually suggest using Spigot instead of the vanilla server but whatever.  You make the script so you can pass flags to the java runtime, this allows you to specify how much RAM the server is allowed to utilise, whether to run it as a command-line application or a full gui application etc.  If you ever get more into Minecraft you'll find that using flags to control the server are very useful.