Vega memory spillover

coconuts4eva
Go to solution Solved by FishTea,
12 minutes ago, coconuts4eva said:

Implementation is a little more difficult with VRAM. Tell me how to connect my system RAM or SSD to my 1070 so I can render with a GPU a 500 GB scene in blender.

I think AMD made a specific controller for that called HBCC so that you can virtually have a very big memory so you can offload all data set in that storage.

According to AMD's website the professional frontier edition has HBM2 that can access external memory so that you don't run out.

"The Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics card employs cutting-edge HBM2 memory as an extremely large and ultra-fast hardware-managed cache for external memory or storage devices. This allows the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics card to efficiently access up to hundreds of terabytes of graphics memory, making it the ideal graphics card for handling massive textures and data sets."

I could see that being valuable for rendering. Does anyone know if RX Vega 56 or 64 has this feature too? They are much less expensive.

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

mate, it's called PageFile and it's as old as Windows itself

Implementation is a little more difficult with VRAM. Tell me how to connect my system RAM or SSD to my 1070 so I can render with a GPU a 500 GB scene in blender.

12 minutes ago, coconuts4eva said:

I think AMD made a specific controller for that called HBCC so that you can virtually have a very big memory so you can offload all data set in that storage.

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

19 minutes ago, coconuts4eva said:

Windows already does that by its own

again, it's called pagefile or virtual memory if you want to call it that - do some research

and PS: it's not a substitution for actual available physical VRAM

if your work requires a lot of VRAM you need a card that has that much VRAM

40 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Windows already does that by its own

again, it's called pagefile or virtual memory if you want to call it that - do some research

and PS: it's not a substitution for actual available physical VRAM

if your work requires a lot of VRAM you need a card that has that much VRAM

Thats what the HBCC is for - easily substituting VRAM for other memory types. ( You do your research LOL)

The Pro card has this enabled out of the box so you wont hit VRAM limits from the physical VRAM.

I'm asking if this is enabled on the RX Vega lines or did they just make this a Pro FE feature.