Is there any way to run Lotus 1-2-3 on Windows 7?

Well, I understand this is a strange question. My mom works at a small business that’s entirely our family. Since the 90s she’s run Windows 98 and used Lotus 1-2-3 for various spreadsheet tasks. The printer connected to this computer has broken, and obviously it is proving too difficult to find a compatible printer.

A move to a more modern system poses the issue that Lotus 1-2-3 is now a discontinued program. Attempts to convert the files to Excel-compatible formats have failed. Opening the files in Quattro X8 (part of an office suite made by Corel, makers of WordPerfect) is possible, but does not retain formatting and would require days of manually resaving spreadsheets without their password protection.

I understand trying to run such an old program on a much newer system is a big ask. But asking here is a last ditch effort to save her and the business time and potentially money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

According to information I could gather, the install disks we have say it is version 1.0a of Lotus 1-2-3. It is saving files under the .wk3 extension, if that gives any sort of indication.

1.0? Holy crap that is pre 1991. You are literally trying to run a 27+ year old piece of software designed for windows 3.0...

I guess you could try running it in compatibility mode, but you have a lottery's chance at getting that to work. Have you considered running it in a vmware win95/98 VM?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

^ VMWare would probably be the best bet.

And holy hell she just needs to bite the bullet and move to modern software.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I guess you could try running it in compatibility mode, but you have a lottery’s chance at getting that to work.

We have tried that on both a Windows 7 and Windows XP machine. Sadly, we lost the lottery, at least today.

Have you considered running it in a vmware win95/98 VM?

We have not. I will keep that in mind, thank you.

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And holy hell she just needs to bite the bullet and move to modern software.

Trust me, we've tried to get her to. But I think it was the fear of it not converting properly that made her not. Sadly, as I could’ve told her, she was just delaying the inevitable.

2 minutes ago, UpstateNewYorker said:

We have tried that on both a Windows 7 and Windows XP machine. Sadly, we lost the lottery, at least today.

We have not. I will keep that in mind, thank you.

Literally pretty much any vm could handle that software. It requires only 4MB of ram for crying out loud. I would go with vmware for the best experience though. 

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

my dad uses a software called Family Origins that shouldnt be working on Windows 7.

the key is to install it on an older computer, then copy the installed files over to the newer computer.

its not garunteed to work, but it often does.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

the key is to install it on an older computer, then copy the installed files over to the newer computer.

its not garunteed to work, but it often does

We also tried this on both the XP and 7 environments. It gives a General Protection Fault, even in compatibility mode when installed on its own, and if you try to run it off a flash drive, it simply won’t open at all.

12 minutes ago, UpstateNewYorker said:

We also tried this on both the XP and 7 environments. It gives a General Protection Fault, even in compatibility mode when installed on its own, and if you try to run it off a flash drive, it simply won’t open at all.

that sucks. its time to update to newer software then honestly. unless you want to run it from a VM

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Maybe you could get an intern to convert it all. 

26 minutes ago, ehhthing said:

Maybe you could get an intern to convert it all. 

The business has 3 employees. This is not an option.