Monitor Hunt

im looking to buy a new monitor but I'm uncertain on what brand to go with, I've heard alot of good things about acer predator monitors, but I've also heard alot of bad things about them such as people doing RMA 4 or 5 times just to get a monitor that doesnt have issues (mostly dead pixels, uneven backlight bloom glow that intensifies in the middle of the screen, or ghosting) 

I'm looking for 1080p or 1440p, 1ms response, 144hz, gsync. Any suggestions on good quality monitors that I won't be gambling with?

Thanks

From what I've heard (and seen), you are correct about Acer and ASUS monitors, it's basically a lottery system with some models of their monitors. I ended up buying the Dell S2716DG (revision A04 [June 2017]) for $499, and after some (color) calibrations, I couldn't be happier. Very good build quality, very nice colors (considering it's a TN), 1440p, 27 inch, 144hz, 1ms response time, and GSync. Oh, and Gsync. Sorry, but did I forget to mention Gsync?

Edit: I believe Dell has a 23 or 24 (I forgot) inch version which is 165Hz. Other than those two differences, it's the same as the 27 inch version.

Edit again: Here's a pcpartpicker link of the 23.8 inch monitor - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

2 hours ago, KSP said:

From what I've heard (and seen), you are correct about Acer and ASUS monitors, it's basically a lottery system with some models of their monitors. I ended up buying the Dell S2716DG (revision A04 [June 2017]) for $499, and after some (color) calibrations, I couldn't be happier. Very good build quality, very nice colors (considering it's a TN), 1440p, 27 inch, 144hz, 1ms response time, and GSync. Oh, and Gsync. Sorry, but did I forget to mention Gsync?

Edit: I believe Dell has a 23 or 24 (I forgot) inch version which is 165Hz. Other than those two differences, it's the same as the 27 inch version.

Edit again: Here's a pcpartpicker link of the 23.8 inch monitor - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

Can I ask where you found/purchased a rev A04 Model from June 2017? I can't seem to find one and I'm coming across alot of reviews saying people ordered rev A04 models but got A03s. 

10 hours ago, Mythras said:

Can I ask where you found/purchased a rev A04 Model from June 2017? I can't seem to find one and I'm coming across alot of reviews saying people ordered rev A04 models but got A03s. 

I purchased my Dell S2716DG from Micro Center in Duluth, Georgia. I had a employee who was helping me (as I also got other PC components there), and I asked to see the two Dell S2716DG's they had in stock in person. That's when I saw that one of the monitors had a manufacture date of October 2016 (A03), and one had a manufacture date of June 2017 (A04). I have no idea what the differences are between all the revisions, but the newer the better(?).

Edit: The monitor's box should have a sticker on one of the sides. There it should state where it was made, the build date, and the revision number. Also, a bunch of other barcodes and numbers that aren't important lol.

Edit again: You should be fine with any of the revisions you get. I honestly doubt there would be anything major or game changing changes for each new revision.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |