How to mount hard drive

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
1 minute ago, CatXice said:

double sided type dont get it on the pcb of it like best bet to stick the top of the drive to the case wall

I would NOT do this. If the tape wears off due to heat or vibrations, the OP's HDD can literally drop to the bottom of the case (possibly hitting other components on the way down). Great way to kill a HDD and possibly RAM or GPU too.

@Houndz199 my suggestion is to mount it to the bottom of the case, if you're gonna use tape. Ideally, you would just drill some extra mounting holes somewhere. You can use a piece of paper to measure out where the mounting holes are on the HDD and then use the paper as a guide for marking your drill spots. I would suggest putting rubber grommets in between the case and your HDD (threading them through the mounting screws) to reduce any vibrations.

Any idea on how to mount a 3.5" drive with no more spots for it? I was thinking command strips or double sided tape but I am worried about vibration or it moving. Will a verticle mount matter?

double sided type dont get it on the pcb of it like best bet to stick the top of the drive to the case wall

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

You can rest the drive upside down (PCB up) with some tape on top of your PSU or case bottom. Drives aren't too picky about how they're mounted. I would avoid a vertical mount if possible, just to prevent unnecessary stress on the drive.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

mount it in your dvd drive space (it works temporarily, i have my ssds mounted there)
just make sure it doesnt stay floating around or is on your desk for too long, vibrations and whatever,

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, CatXice said:

I would NOT do this. If the tape wears off due to heat or vibrations, the OP's HDD can literally drop to the bottom of the case (possibly hitting other components on the way down). Great way to kill a HDD and possibly RAM or GPU too.

@Houndz199 my suggestion is to mount it to the bottom of the case, if you're gonna use tape. Ideally, you would just drill some extra mounting holes somewhere. You can use a piece of paper to measure out where the mounting holes are on the HDD and then use the paper as a guide for marking your drill spots. I would suggest putting rubber grommets in between the case and your HDD (threading them through the mounting screws) to reduce any vibrations.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, themctipers said:

mount it in your dvd drive space (it works temporarily, i have my ssds mounted there)
just make sure it doesnt stay floating around or is on your desk for too long, vibrations and whatever,

Mounting in the 5.25" bay is not a bad idea. Ideally, the OP would get a mounting kit (5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter), which you can find online and at most computer stores for a few bucks. You can just mount from one side only, but I personally wouldn't like the stress, and the vibrations from that. Doing that for an SSD is fine, but I'd be worried about the long term health of a HDD.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Mounting in the 5.25" bay is not a bad idea. Ideally, the OP would get a mounting kit (5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter), which you can find online and at most computer stores for a few bucks. You can just mount from one side only, but I personally wouldn't like the stress, and the vibrations from that. Doing that for an SSD is fine, but I'd be worried about the long term health of a HDD.

my case only has one HDD mount (because who has two drives in 1998?! CRAZY!!!)

image.jpg

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

my case only has one HDD mount (because who has two drives in 1998?! CRAZY!!!)

Do those drive cages have bottom mount screw holes? The OP might be lucky enough to have the same option.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Do those drive cages have bottom mount screw holes? The OP might be lucky enough to have the same option.

no, side only.

i am resorting to using an external drive (USB), but that works for me since I only access my secondary drive (archive drive) once a week or so (when not in use don't plug in power, when in use plug it in, hotswap sata was on when the drive was in my system) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.