LAN drops randomly

symen55

Hello Geeks, Nerds and all in between,

What happens:

The problem that I have is that my LAN connection occasionally drops.

If I try the windows 'solve connection issues' (Right-click my connection in the taskbar), it simply states "Connect your pc to a modem/router". This message also doesn't take long to display, so it quite clearly finds no proper connection to my internet connection to my router. Going to the router website: 192.something something, works just fine and even allows me to simply reboot the modem through it.

This can happen, but does not always, about 2-3 times a day in random intervals. I usually lose access to the internet for about 1-2 minutes.  We had a few power outages lately, but the problem already existed before that and did not get worse/better after it. This problem has been plaguing me since at least half a year now. Nothing of note has happened that I can recall at that time.

It does not matter whether I am the only one using the internet, or that my parents are using the wifi too. We all simply lose connection. I am the only one connected to the router by cable.

This is slowly starting to drive me crazy and I have no idea what might be causing this anymore.

My setup is as follows:

We have our modem setup downstairs.

The router is on the 1st floor and wired to the modem (duh)

My pc is connected to the router.

The modem: Ubee EVW3200

The router:    TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

MoBo: Gigabyte Z87M-D3H

I have no network card in my pc.

What I have tried:

Rebooting (PC and/or router)

firmware update (for all the hardware in my pc as well as the router and modem.)

Any ideas? My provider says there is nothing wrong with our connection from what they can see at their end and this neighborhood rarely has problems in regards to mass loss of internet connections.

Thanks for reading!

p.s. If I have to check/report something, please point out where to find it. I am not overly familiar in regards to these settings (apart from setting stuff up)

Have these problems happened on Wi-Fi as well?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Have these problems happened on Wi-Fi as well?

Yes, this is on both wifi and cabled internet.

1 hour ago, symen55 said:

If the wifi is actually dropping, like cant see the signal, then your router needs to be replaced or taken off a surge protector.

20 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

If the wifi is actually dropping, like cant see the signal, then your router needs to be replaced or taken off a surge protector.

The router is placed on a wooden ledge in the hallway of the 1st floor. Even when I stand right next to it when the problem occurs, I can still get no internet. There is also no other electronic device in its direct vicinity. Heck, my pc is the closest thing which is in a room 2 meters away.

1 minute ago, symen55 said:

The router is placed on a wooden ledge in the hallway of the 1st floor. Even when I stand right next to it when the problem occurs, I can still get no internet. There is also no other electronic device in its direct vicinity. Heck, my pc is the closest thing which is in a room 2 meters away.

So do you see the wifi drop, like disappear when the internet goes down?

3 hours ago, symen55 said:

Does the internet stop working at random times when your computer is directly connected (ethernet) to the modem? If you don't know, try doing that to see if the router really is the issue. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Sorry for being late.

My phone and laptop are still connected to the router, can see it perfectly fine, but have no internet access. And if I had not yet connected my phone to the wifi but do so during the problem, it will connect but does not grant internet access. (exclemation mark next to the wifi symbol)

The TV works perfectly fine during the problem. So does any device connected to the wifi of the modem.