after windows update games are insanely choppy

overturnedv1

so basically its 120am and im gonna go to sleep, but i cant just shut off my pc, i have to update and shut down. so i dont really mind this, and i just shut it off and leave it. (this is a laptop). the next day i guess it shut off or somethin cause when i turned it off it was still updating, and then after than it was about 2 and a half hours before my pc was done updating. i was doing some school work for about 4 hours, and when i boot up my game, even though i get hundreads of fps it still feels incredibly choppy. restarting my pc again and no fix, online games like slither io work great, so please help

Is game mode on? If so, turn it off. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Some games support in game mode. While in game press Win+G. That's what he means. 

Few questions:

1) What games are we talking about?

2) Do you have performance mode enabled?

3) have you checked if anything is using your connection in background?

4) As I understand some games do work great but some don't?

What I like to do after every huge update: reinstall your graphics drivers (clean install), defrag & optimize with a proper 3rd party program. If everything works, clean your pc out of update files and defrag & optimize again for your OCD you didn't know you had. 

EDIT: That choppiness you mentioned happens to me on online games when I leave my PC to sleep or hibernate and don't do a restart.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Some games support in game mode. While in game press Win+G.

Few questions:

1) What games are we talking about?

2) Do you have performance mode enabled?

3) have you checked if anything is using your connection in background?

4) As I understand some games do work great but some don't?

What I like to do after every huge update: reinstall your graphics drivers (clean install), defrag & optimize with a proper 3rd party program. If everything works, clean your pc out of update files and defrag & optimize again for your OCD you didn't know you had. 

for 1, i play minecraft, last night i played some ranked matches, totally normal, next day after a long update, still getting 500 fps, but feels like 30fps.

for 2, what is performance mode? i did not "disable" this option that im aware of, so dont know what that is, however after the update it did reset my nvidia control panel settings.

for 3, yes i have check everything is normal in that regard.

and for 4, online games such as slither io or agar io work perfectly fine but downloaded games are choppy

Just now, overturnedv1 said:

for 1, i play minecraft, last night i played some ranked matches, totally normal, next day after a long update, still getting 500 fps, but feels like 30fps.

for 2, what is performance mode? i did not "disable" this option that im aware of, so dont know what that is, however after the update it did reset my nvidia control panel settings.

for 3, yes i have check everything is normal in that regard.

and for 4, online games such as slither io or agar io work perfectly fine but downloaded games are choppy

Go to power options and check if you have High performance or something similar enabled. This may not help but check if you have shadowplay turned on.

Well online games don't need a lot of GPU power, so I'd do a clean install of the drivers just to be sure. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.