Is Gigabit enough?

Davide

Will a gigabit connection be enough to play games of a home server or am I going to have to man up and buy 2 10gb cards?

On other question will cat 5e and 6 run with my 10gb cards or will I have to run fiber cables between the computers?

P.S. these are the card I am thinking about getting. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=80333&vpn=OCe11101-NX&manufacture=Emulex&promoid=1423

​Any help would be appreciated!

Trust me, a lot of game servers only have 10/100 ports. You don't need very high bandwidth, just a low ping.

Better spend that money on something else, 1 gig cards and routers are cheap and that is all you will need. Gaming does not generate much traffic.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Gigabit is more than enough for playing games. BUT if you feel the need to get 10GbE nics, don't get them on big name websites, get them from server supply sites because you can find them MUCH cheeper (ie 110$-150$ for a NIC instead of 350$ if you do some snooping around)

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

If the games are installed on the home server and you want to launch them from your gaming pc a gigabit might feel slow on more demanding games.

Older and indie games should work fine.

You might run into problems if you try to run games that are installed on another computer so keep that in mind.

I want to install the games on my home server.

You don't need 10G, I have a gigabit lan at home and the worst I've seen is slightly longer loading time. With gigabit lan you get transfer speeds close to your mechanical hard drive's speed anyway so there's practically no difference in speed. Like I've said, the worst case scenario is slightly longer loading time.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?