Mpam-fe.exe Suspicious? HELP

Hello,

HitmanPro detected a file named Mpam-fe.exe while I was updating WD definitions, it sent it to the cloud which it does when it thinks a file is suspicious..

When the upload to the cloud was done, the scan finished and no threats were discovered.

Should I be worried?

Thank you for your time :) 

17 minutes ago, _RYZE_ said:

Hello,

HitmanPro detected a file named Mpam-fe.exe while I was updating WD definitions, it sent it to the cloud which it does when it thinks a file is suspicious..

When the upload to the cloud was done, the scan finished and no threats were discovered.

Should I be worried?

Thank you for your time :) 

Mpam-fe.exe is a MS anti-malware/av definition update file.  I'm sure sometimes someone will name their little malware this to try and hide it.  Most likely HitmanPro detected some of the signatures in the definitions file. In otherwords, the definitions in the update package matched known malware (shocker, it's how it checks for the malware) and it got sent off.

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Mpam-fe.exe is a MS anti-malware/av definition update file.  I'm sure sometimes someone will name their little malware this to try and hide it.  Most likely HitmanPro detected some of the signatures in the definitions file. In otherwords, the definitions in the update package matched known malware (shocker, it's how it checks for the malware) and it got sent off.

Well, this did happen when I was updating Windows Defender, the thing thats shocking is, Hitman Pro sent it to the cloud and after the upload was completed the scan finished and no threats or traces were found.

I am pretty confused and paranoid..

Should I really be worried?

Scan it with another reliable AV/AM engine, like an online quickscan (ex. Trend Micro House Call, etc.)  Thing is that multiple realtime scanning engines running at the same time are bound to conflict at some point.  It's like a doctor telling you may or may not have a serious disease.  Get a second opinion/checkup.

3 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Scan it with another reliable AV/AM engine, like an online quickscan (ex. Trend Micro House Call, etc.)  Thing is that multiple realtime scanning engines running at the same time are bound to conflict at some point.  It's like a doctor telling you may or may not have a serious disease.  Get a second opinion/checkup.

I might get Trend Micro House Call, I already have scanned with Kaspersky Scanner,Norton Power Eraser,Adwcleaner,Malwarebytes,Zemana,Avast and Hitman Pro.

As stated earlier, mpam-fe is part of Microsoft's own anti malware.  So it's pretty normal for it to run when you're updating Windows Defender. 

The fact that Hitman Pro considered it suspicious says enough about how crappy Hitman Pro is, or how hard it's trying to convince you that it is keeping you safe (it's quite normal for AV/anti-malware programs to make a big fuss out of nothing so they can show how they are "protecting you", just so you would feel unsafe without them)

4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

As stated earlier, mpam-fe is part of Microsoft's own anti malware.  So it's pretty normal for it to run when you're updating Windows Defender. 

The fact that Hitman Pro considered it suspicious says enough about how crappy Hitman Pro is, or how hard it's trying to convince you that it is keeping you safe (it's quite normal for AV/anti-malware programs to make a big fuss out of nothing so they can show how they are "protecting you", just so you would feel unsafe without them)

Hitman Pro is not for beginners, they did not say it was suspicious, they just were uploading it to the cloud.

Which they do when they think a file is suspicious.

Anyway, Hitman Pro is not "crappy" and I can prove it, if you want.

http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/mpam-fe-exe

Systemexplorer.net lists it as part of Microsoft own Anti-malware suite.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_security_essentials_definition_updates.html

2nd paragraph of step 2 tells people to double-click the mpam-fe.exe to manually update their definition updates

http://www.processchecker.com/file/mpam-fe.exe.html

Process checker also lists it as an official Microsoft anti-malware program.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_updating/manual-update-of-ms-security-essentials/e5012f83-c997-45bd-8b65-65b22271ec97

And here's someone asking why he got the 32bit version of mpam-fe when manually downloading the updates from Microsoft themselves

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/update-mse-definitions-offline/

Another "how to manually install definitions updates" guide that mentions mpam-fe as the .exe responsible for this update. 

How much more proof do you need?  mpam-fe is from Microsoft themselves.

If Hitman Pro considered a known safe file suspicious, the problem lies with Hitman Pro, not with the .exe in question.