Making an old PSU into a semi modular PSU

I am wonder if any one actually modded a PSU to make it semi modular PSU ? and has any one every done it with a micro ATX PSU ?
and if you have, can let me know what parts you used ?

I only really one to make 1 modular cable. I'm going to use the one existing cable to make 3 SATA connection and shorten the ATX and CPU 12v cable to size
I did think of making a circuit board with connectors soldered to them. Making a different circuit for each rail, using thicker wires, as I have seen this in side semi modular power supplies.

I don't usually bother with touching power supplies, but i am trying to make a custom media PC case, air cooled and really efficient  at cooling with low Db levels.
customising the PSU to fit around the other components, Motherboard, GPU, CPU heatsink ect into the area i have planned. hopefully it will be so efficient I can leave the CPU, GPU and PSU heatsink's Passively cooled.

I plan to do this in a safe manner, so no posts telling me not to touch a PSU ! and yes I do know how dangerous capacitors can be :) 

The only good option is to cut and reattach different cables.At the end of the project you'll be kicking yourself for not buying a semi modular psu.

My life

Also if you mes up just a little bit you could burn down your house 

My life

I've got no problem re-soldering wires to the PSU circuit board it self and i will make one modular connection on psu case itself  5 wires 2 ground 5v 12v and 3.3v. in no way will i compromise the safety of the PSU unit itself plus I turn things off at the wall at night :)
I just want to know if any one done it ??   
I customising a PSU for the project and it's hard to find a micro ATX PSU that is semi modular 

OK thank you for your opinion :D It's a hobby project :) I could just buy a modular one , but where the fun it that :o 

I could just buy a pre-built PC :D

Find some panel mount connectors that are at least 5 pin, where either the male or female are actually panel mounted, then get to soldering for a nice hobby project you can say you made work. Probably going to have to search for 8 pin molex tho.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

I have been looking on EBay for connectors. I did have to look into a semi-modular power supply and noticed they used a circuit board with 5 extra thick wire from PSU unit to the circuit board. enough for 6 modular cables to be connectors, the PCIX connectors were extra thick wires to another circuit board on it's own rail.   PSU circuit board no different than a none modular power supply. was a good make of power supply as well.
So i might make my own circuit board, but i can just get away with making a 5 pin connection on the modular cable to the power supply. 
Could probably use a male and female sata connector. maybe a din connector because you can screw the connections together   

Did you consider removing the unneeded cable from the harness? Cut them inside the psu case and put grommets on the ends or simply unsolder them.

I would point out that using a user modified psu might invalidate insurance coverage should it contribute or be suspected of contributing to a problem.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

Did you consider removing the unneeded cable from the harness? Cut them inside the psu case and put grommets on the ends or simply unsolder them.

I would point out that using a user modified psu might invalidate insurance coverage should it contribute or be suspected of contributing to a problem.

I've already done this :) I just thought i would take it a step further (Y)

Just now, Liam-Wabbit said:

I've already done this :) I just thought i would take it a step further (Y)

Ah, reaching for perfection. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.