Low GPU usage

So I noticed I was getting low frames in a game (in this case Overwatch) that I never usually get low frames in. So I watched MSI afterburner and noticed my GPU usage was maxed out at all times but as the match progressed it slowly dropped into 30%-40% usage but whenever I was in the Hero selection menu, my GPU usage would pop back all the way to max. What is causing this issue? I would say bottleneck but this game ran perfectly fine before and all of a sudden it does this?

SPECS

FX-8320 Eight Core (3.5, OC to 4.0)

GTX 1060 6 GB

14 GB RAM
1 TB Sataiii HDD

1 TB Hitachi HDD

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P AM3+

Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler

Just now, SwiftCraftmc said:

Could be a driver issue.Try reinstalling them

Will do

you might have gotten a virus or malware that solows down your cpu which has now become a bottleneck

check cpu usage while gaming

if its maxed out its probably that. run maliwarebytes

Just now, SwiftCraftmc said:

Could be a driver issue.Try reinstalling them

As Swift said could be a driver issue. Download this program: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and run it in safe mode; best possible way to uninstall your drivers. After you have uninstalled your drivers restart the system and install the latest driver available.

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

you might have gotten a virus or malware that solows down your cpu which has now become a bottleneck

check cpu usage while gaming

if its maxed out its probably that. run maliwarebytes

I ran Malwarebytes but nothing was detected.

Just now, AtomicAftermath said:

As Swift said could be a driver issue. Download this program: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and run it in safe mode; best possible way to uninstall your drivers. After you have uninstalled your drivers restart the system and install the latest driver available.

Already have the program but will do

Worst comes to the worst, and if the issue is truly bugging you - you could try backing up all of your important data and fresh install windows.

Or you could try dual booting another windows installation, where the 2nd windows installation is fresh and has only overwatch installed. If overwatch on the second installation works correctly then that means your current windows installation is causing the problem. This way you wouldn't have to freshly install windows hoping that the problem would fix itself, because if the issue still persisted; you could just simply delete the second windows installation of the disk (make sure that you have used msconfig to set your first windows installation as the deafult in the boot environment - otherwise your system won't boot into your first windows installation after you have deleted the second installation partiton).

Just now, DreamssYT said:

I ran Malwarebytes but nothing was detected.

Use DDU to uninstall the display drivers, then install the latest drivers and check to see if the problem persists 

"What am I even meant to put here?" - Me 2016

7 minutes ago, AtomicAftermath said:

Worst comes to the worst, and if the issue is truly bugging you - you could try backing up all of your important data and fresh install windows.

Or you could try dual booting another windows installation, where the 2nd windows installation is fresh and has only overwatch installed. If overwatch on the second installation works correctly then that means your current windows installation is causing the problem. This way you wouldn't have to freshly install windows hoping that the problem would fix itself, because if the issue still persisted; you could just simply delete the second windows installation of the disk (make sure that you have used msconfig to set your first windows installation as the deafult in the boot environment - otherwise your system won't boot into your first windows installation after you have deleted the second installation partiton).

Or you could try dual booting another windows installation, where the 2nd windows installation is fresh and has only overwatch installed. If overwatch on the second installation works correctly then that means your current windows installation is causing the problem. Not your hardware.

I really don't wanna fresh restart my windows but if that's what I gotta do then so be it, and I'll try this.

1 minute ago, DreamssYT said:

I really don't wanna fresh restart my windows but if that's what I gotta do then so be it, and I'll try this.

I have edited my post, please refresh the page and read my edit for another way :)

3 minutes ago, AtomicAftermath said:

Or you could try dual booting another windows installation, where the 2nd windows installation is fresh and has only overwatch installed. If overwatch on the second installation works correctly then that means your current windows installation is causing the problem. This way you wouldn't have to freshly install windows hoping that the problem would fix itself, because if the issue still persisted; you could just simply delete the second windows installation of the disk (make sure that you have used msconfig to set your first windows installation at the deafult in the boot environment - otherwise your system won't boot into your first windows installation after you have deleted the second installation partiton).

Gotcha. Thank you for the insight, I will definetly try this after I try DDU. (Which I will do now so I'll be back)

Gotcha. Thank you for the insight, I will definetly try this after I try DDU. (Which I will do now so I'll be back)

Your welcome good luck. 

12 minutes ago, AtomicAftermath said:

Now that I think about it, I haven't tried this since I got my 1060 (which was Christmas)

49 minutes ago, AtomicAftermath said:

Uninstalling drivers didn't work. Only saw max GPU usage in the hero selection screen, so going to try this method.

Uninstalling drivers didn't work. Only saw max GPU usage in the hero selection screen, so going to try this method.

Like i said good luck, if you unsure about dual booting operating systems then please look into it. You don't want to accidentally delete your current operating system.

Like i said good luck, if you unsure about dual booting operating systems then please look into it. You don't want to accidentally delete your current operating system.

That's what I'm doing now.