Pfsense n00b

techy87

So I have been testing PfSense on various different pieces of Hardware including in a virtual machine on a Dell poweredge 2950 and on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 with an Intel NIC card and could not get the Dell to allow me outside of the interface or the ability to talk to the other computers on my network. However when I setup the AMD machine I was able to get the machines to talk to each other on the network but not access the internet. I am using a static IP address from a CenturyLink connection on a modem that is a q1000z.

1 hour ago, techy87 said:

Sorry I've tested pfSense on various different pieces of Hardware including in a virtual machine on a Dell poweredge 2950 and on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 with an Intel NIC card and could not get the Dell to allow me outside of the interface or the ability to talk to the other computers on my network. However when I setup the AMD machine I was able to get the machines to talk to each other on the network but not access the internet. I am using a static IP address from a CenturyLink connection on a modem that is a q1000z.

What OS are you running? Is the server just running windows with a VM program or does it have a dedicated VM OS installed?

I ilke trains.

56 minutes ago, MCManiac52 said:

What OS are you running? Is the server just running windows with a VM program or does it have a dedicated VM OS installed?

It is running an not activated copy of server 2012r2. However I am running a dedicated vm of pfsense with 2 Intel nics.

7 hours ago, techy87 said:

It is running an not activated copy of server 2012r2. However I am running a dedicated vm of pfsense with 2 Intel nics.

are you using VM ware or hyper-v for the vm?

I ilke trains.

9 hours ago, MCManiac52 said:

are you using VM ware or hyper-v for the vm?

At that time I was using Oracle virtualbox virtual machine however I have sent switched over to using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with a Intel NIC.

After several hours of frustration and a bunch of different configurations I decided to not only reset my modem but reset all of the settings on pfSense interface which for some odd reason managed to allow the network to talk to the internet through the AMD box.

After I reset my modem and put it back into transparent bridge mode for CenturyLink vdsl and resetting the pfSense box to factory defaults and attempting three different login setups, the last login setup I did ended up working and I have no idea why.

At this point I'm not arguing with the setup I am just going to continue the route I am on and hopefully when I go to configure my access point on that Network everything will just work *crossing fingers*.

I will report back if I have any further problems or if something else is not as it seems.

At that time I was using Oracle virtualbox virtual machine however I have sent switched over to using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with a Intel NIC.

After several hours of frustration and a bunch of different configurations I decided to not only reset my modem but reset all of the settings on pfSense interface which for some odd reason managed to allow the network to talk to the internet through the AMD box.

After I reset my modem and put it back into transparent bridge mode for CenturyLink vdsl and resetting the pfSense box to factory defaults and attempting three different login setups, the last login setup I did ended up working and I have no idea why.

At this point I'm not arguing with the setup I am just going to continue the route I am on and hopefully when I go to configure my access point on that Network everything will just work *crossing fingers*.

I will report back if I have any further problems or if something else is not as it seems.

Okay, glad to here it's working! If you need any other help with it, feel free to let me know :)

I ilke trains.

Ok now I have a new problem... I seem to be having issues keeping my network alive for longer than 2 days.

After I got home yesterday I noticed (while at a HOA meeting) that my network dropped because my Z wave controller disconnected and my remote sessions died.

When I got back from my HOA meeting I say my PfSense box (AMD Athlon 64 x2 - 4GB RAM - 250GB ssd) had died due to an issue of ATA dying... I don't know if this is referring to the SSD SATA connection or not but I shut down the box and moved the SATA connection to a different port to see if that dies again. If this isn't the problem it should die again... If that port was the problem then hopefully moving it to another port will stop it from dying...

I know this system is pretty old (2005 {roughly 10 years}) but It's all I currently have in order to run this system...

I will get pics of the error(s) next time it happens and upload them... I know troubleshooting without seeing is a very difficult task.

Edited by techy87

3 hours ago, techy87 said:

Ok now I have a new problem... I seem to be having issues keeping my network alive for longer than 2 days.

After I got home yesterday I noticed (while at a HOA meeting) that my network dropped because my Z wave controller disconnected and my remote sessions died.

When I got back from my HOA meeting I say my PfSense box (AMD Athlon 64 x2 - 4GB RAM - 250GB ssd) had died due to an issue of ATA dying... I don't know if this is referring to the SSD SATA connection or not but I shut down the box and moved the SATA connection to a different port to see if that dies again. If this isn't the problem it should die again... If that port was the problem then hopefully moving it to another port will stop it from dying...

I know this system is pretty old (2005 {roughly 10 years}) but It's all I currently have in order to run this system...

I will get pics of the error(s) next time it happens and upload them... I know troubleshooting without seeing is a very difficult task.

Hm that's odd, i've never had that before, my box is running an equally old system and i've had no problems with it, could have just been a bad port as you said tho. 

I ilke trains.

1 hour ago, MCManiac52 said:

Hm that's odd, i've never had that before, my box is running an equally old system and i've had no problems with it, could have just been a bad port as you said tho. 

My only other thought right now since I haven't been home to check on it is the onboard NIC (which might be bad) and is {not being used} might be throwing an issue but that might be irrelevant. I have been remotely connected into my home server through my internet connection (the AMD box) and haven't had any disconnection so far... *knock on wood*

2 hours ago, techy87 said:

My only other thought right now since I haven't been home to check on it is the onboard NIC (which might be bad) and is {not being used} might be throwing an issue but that might be irrelevant. I have been remotely connected into my home server through my internet connection (the AMD box) and haven't had any disconnection so far... *knock on wood*

Hope it stays that way then, hopefully it was just a bad port.

I ilke trains.

Well the good news thus far is that I haven't had any 'real' problems with PfSense or the build lately that I can tell... I did have to shut it down last night but that was for maintenance in my server rack. It would seem that it was potentially bad ports that I connect the SSD to. Otherwise (aside from my FTP issues) PfSense seems to be running just fine...

Well the good news thus far is that I haven't had any 'real' problems with PfSense or the build lately that I can tell... I did have to shut it down last night but that was for maintenance in my server rack. It would seem that it was potentially bad ports that I connect the SSD to. Otherwise (aside from my FTP issues) PfSense seems to be running just fine...

Nice! Hope it stays that way :D any other problems PM me or reply here and I'll help out as best I can! :D

I ilke trains.

25 minutes ago, MCManiac52 said:

Nice! Hope it stays that way :D any other problems PM me or reply here and I'll help out as best I can! :D

would you know anything about FileZilla Server setup? I opened a new thread about it but no one has commented yet...

3 minutes ago, techy87 said:

would you know anything about FileZilla Server setup? I opened a new thread about it but no one has commented yet...

I've only done it once and wasn't very successful, however I'll do my best to give you hand with anything :) 

I ilke trains.