Can I upgrade my CPU

Go to solution Solved by mahoutsukai,
36 minutes ago, G97 said:

I found a CPU selling for 4 usd...should I go for it?

T9550( 2.66GHz, 1066mhz)

If you want to prolong your laptop's usability by a little more, go for it its only 4 usd but the downside of it is just it wont hold on for a long time and prob you will need to change/buy a new laptop soon after you upgrade.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ40-647TU which my father bought back in 2009/2010 which has a T6600 inside(2.2GHz,FSB 800MHz) 

My question would be is it possible to upgrade to a faster model of the core 2 duo line-up, say for example a t9900 or a core 2 quad?

(Please don't say get a new laptop)

id say do what @manuel kruza said even if upgrading was possible buying a new laptop would probobly be cheaper than upgrading, you can get some pretty decent laptops very very cheap nowadays

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

It's better to get a new laptop since it's a couple of generation old.

I know.. I just wanted to see whether it is possible to upgrade and if so what are my best CPU options. I might not be using this laptop in 5 years but it will be nice to know if this computer's CPU can be upgraded.

It's a PGA chip, so I don't see why not. You'd need to research what processors your laptop was designed to handle, TDPs and cooling solutions, necessary wattage, etc. Not rocket science, but swapping laptop CPUs does take a little bit more thought than a desktop CPU swap does.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

This is confusing....

So based on HP's products specs it goes all the way up to T9550Capture.JPG.fcbdaf6afff687d191e0344f0eb90334.JPGCapture1.JPG.0a9ace35879018a567add6b4e5168764.JPG

But then based on wiki the steppings is different (T6600 has a stepping of R0 and T9550 of E0)

Are they compatible with one another? 

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

T9550( 2.66GHz, 1066mhz)

36 minutes ago, G97 said:

T9550( 2.66GHz, 1066mhz)

If you want to prolong your laptop's usability by a little more, go for it its only 4 usd but the downside of it is just it wont hold on for a long time and prob you will need to change/buy a new laptop soon after you upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Well...bidding in E-bay is tough. A minute the C2D T9550 was 4usd suddenly as it nears ending the bid goes up to 10usd. I ended up going for the lower clocked Intel Core 2 Duo P8700, with a 2.53Ghz clock speed and a whopping 3MB of L2 cache..I won the bid and paid only MYR8 (1.87usd) with free shipping. Everything is slightly faster with that extra mb of cache and slightly higher clock speed.