Using a voice transformer with an audio interface/mixer

lazygood4notin
Go to solution Solved by anothertom,
1 minute ago, lazygood4notin said:

Ok I think I see what you mean, so let's say if I wanted to record in mono. I connect my mic into the XLR input on the VT-3 like normal, then I would take a 1/4" to XLR cable and plug it into where it says mono on the VT-3: https://gyazo.com/e20d4908a5521decb055e185b40b97ff And then connect the XLR end of that to the mic input 1 on my interface?

If you're controlling the wet/dry mix on the VT-3 then yes. If not then you should connect both the mono output and the dry output to the interface so you record both.

3 minutes ago, lazygood4notin said:

And if I wanted stereo I would do the same except I would use both of the 1/4" jacks on the VT-3 and both of the XLR ends would go into inputs 1 and 2 on the interface? That's the only part I'm kind of confused about

Yes. You then need to use the VT-3 to control the wet/dry mix.

I'm looking to buy the Roland VT-3 voice transformer but I'm not sure yet because I currently use an audio interface for my XLR microphone, studio monitors along with other things. Is there a way to connect this with an audio interface or mixer? If so how would I do that? My current interface is the Onyx Blackjack but I'm getting a new interface/mixer soon. Most likely the Yamaha MG10XU as of right now.

The simplest way would be to connect it in series between your XLR microphone and your interface. You would simply have to connect your microphone to VT-3 Mic in and one of the outputs to your interface and it should work 

19 hours ago, Niksa said:

The simplest way would be to connect it in series between your XLR microphone and your interface. You would simply have to connect your microphone to VT-3 Mic in and one of the outputs to your interface and it should work 

Oh I see so I would plug in 2 1/4' jacks that are normally used for monitors into the L/R inputs on the VT-3 and plug the other ends of those into (in this case if I get the Yamaha MG10XU) line 5? If this is right then I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the on board compressor/gain knobs :( Sorry if I'm completely wrong and confused things but I've always had a pretty basic setup so some of this is kind of new to me

21 minutes ago, lazygood4notin said:

Oh I see so I would plug in 2 1/4' jacks that are normally used for monitors into the L/R inputs on the VT-3 and plug the other ends of those into (in this case if I get the Yamaha MG10XU) line 5? If this is right then I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the on board compressor/gain knobs :( Sorry if I'm completely wrong and confused things but I've always had a pretty basic setup so some of this is kind of new to me

Actually I just noticed I think I made this way more complicated than it needed to be. I could just use a Female XLR to Dual Male XLR cable and it should work right? Female end goes into my mic, 1 of the male ends goes to the VT-3 and the other male goes into the mixer/interface?

This all depends on how much control, and where you want it, you have over the wet/dry mix, and what interface you have or intend to have, although you can go a fair way with what you've got.

Since the interface you currently have has two (mic) inputs you can connect your mic directly to the VT-3 then with it set to mono/dry outputs connect each to the inputs on your interface. You can then record the effect and the original separately.

If you want to use stereo effects which take advantage of positioning, then you'll need to sacrifice recording the dry track and just have the mic into the VT-3, connected in stereo mode to the interface. You can then only record the effect, so you'll need to control the wet/dry mix on the VT-3.

If you want to record an instrument at the same time, then running the VT-3 in mono and not recording the dry track is the only way to do it.

Technically, by the looks of it, you can use the VT-3 connected over USB only, so it might be assignable from within DAW software. Maybe try that before spending on a new interface. Either way, what you've got will work so you don't need a new interface unless you're planning something more than this, and i'd strongly advise against getting something like a MG10XU as you won't be able to use it the way I think you mean to.

40 minutes ago, anothertom said:

Since the interface you currently have has two (mic) inputs you can connect your mic directly to the VT-3 then with it set to mono/dry outputs connect each to the inputs on your interface. You can then record the effect and the original separately.

Ok I think I see what you mean, so let's say if I wanted to record in mono. I connect my mic into the XLR input on the VT-3 like normal, then I would take a 1/4" to XLR cable and plug it into where it says mono on the VT-3: https://gyazo.com/e20d4908a5521decb055e185b40b97ff And then connect the XLR end of that to the mic input 1 on my interface? And if I wanted stereo I would do the same except I would use both of the 1/4" jacks on the VT-3 and both of the XLR ends would go into inputs 1 and 2 on the interface? That's the only part I'm kind of confused about

1 minute ago, lazygood4notin said:

Ok I think I see what you mean, so let's say if I wanted to record in mono. I connect my mic into the XLR input on the VT-3 like normal, then I would take a 1/4" to XLR cable and plug it into where it says mono on the VT-3: https://gyazo.com/e20d4908a5521decb055e185b40b97ff And then connect the XLR end of that to the mic input 1 on my interface?

If you're controlling the wet/dry mix on the VT-3 then yes. If not then you should connect both the mono output and the dry output to the interface so you record both.

3 minutes ago, lazygood4notin said:

And if I wanted stereo I would do the same except I would use both of the 1/4" jacks on the VT-3 and both of the XLR ends would go into inputs 1 and 2 on the interface? That's the only part I'm kind of confused about

9 minutes ago, anothertom said:

Alright thanks alot :)

• 2 months later...

I want to go from a condenser mic to the VT-3 voice transformer to an audio interface. Should I use phantom power on BOTH units, transformer and interface? 

2 hours ago, Muiris said:

Should I use phantom power on BOTH units, transformer and interface? 

No, just on the device the mic is plugged into.