Basic question about Virtual Machines

I recently been looking into virtual machines and have read that a virus on the vm can not be spread to the host. Appon further research other sites have stated that viruses can leave the vm environment and spread to the host machine. Which statement is true as I want to make a virtual machine where I can test programs to see if they are infected with malware and other issues.

Yes, It is true that it CAN'T spread, but it can also.

If you set in we say "Virtualbox" you can change a setting so files can sync with the Host Drive or not. In "VMWare" I think its the same thing.

So if you are planning on making a VM and infecting it just for fun, you should check does settings before doing it.

10 minutes ago, Paraplyet said:

Yes, It is true that it CAN'T spread, but it can also.

If you set in we say "Virtualbox" you can change a setting so files can sync with the Host Drive or not. In "VMWare" I think its the same thing.

So if you are planning on making a VM and infecting it just for fun, you should check does settings before doing it.

I'm using Virtualbox so my understanding is to not let the files sync with the host drive? How do I do that as I tried looking up online but there was no resources available. Thanks for your help.