Tips for silencing PC

JakeUnsted1

I'm currently have a rather loud PC in my room, It annoys me how loud it is compared to other PC's I've built for others, I do try to leave my PC on over night to complete uploads and downloads, but end up turning it off due to the loud drone...

Current spec:

Zalman z11 plus

Hyper 212 evo w/ corsair AF fan

Corsair tx 750w psu

Msi GTX 660ti power edition

Stock case fans

If you can think of anything that can help let me know!

P. S. If you need any more detail just ask :-)

What's making the noise? Easy way to tell is unplug the GPU and any non essential drives, boot up and see what's still making noise.

My guess is it's the PSU. If it is, you can (by voiding the warranty) simply open it up and replace the fan. It'll most likely use the same 3 pin conector that the rest of your fans will most likely use.

What's making the noise? Easy way to tell is unplug the GPU and any non essential drives, boot up and see what's still making noise.

My guess is it's the PSU. If it is, you can (by voiding the warranty) simply open it up and replace the fan. It'll most likely use the same 3 pin conector that the rest of your fans will most likely use.

I've had the case raised off the ground, and I agree it is mainly the PSU making the noise.... However I would feel uncomfortable taking it apart and replacing the fan :-\

Another thing to point out, my computer is quieter when running prime95 and Msi kombustor

You could probably add sound dampening material in your case to dampen the sound generated from your fans inside the case.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You could add sound dampening material into your case in order to dampen the sound produced from the fans inside your case.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The first mistake is using stock fans in your case. I suggest any fans that state they are lower than 25Db. Noctua is the first to come to mind but if the color scheme turns you off, I'd go for GEILD or Cougar's PWM fans.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Another thing to point out' date=' my computer is quieter when running prime95 and Msi kombustor[/quote']

Well probably it's somewhat of a whining or rattling noise from your PSU fan which vanishes once the fan speeds up due to more load and more powerdraw resulting in higher temps and therefore higher cooling needs.

If that's not the reason I really could not think of anything that would make sense, since usually the hotter the louder O.o

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

This isn't related to silencing your pc but for the fans on your hyper 212, you are using the very inefficient AF series which are meant for open environments not dense radiators. So with the large gaps between the blades, there is a lot of air leakage which translates into poor cooling and higher temps. Corsair has a SP series which pressure optimized for radiators however if you were going to get new fans, I'd get the noctuas which are silent and have top notch performance

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Get quieter fans for your CPU, and use the Corsair AF in your case. The Corsair AF fans are meant for cases, not CPU coolers/radiators. Their SP fans are better for rads, but are pretty loud. Look into Noctuas, Cougars, and Scythes.

Seems the best option is to replace the fans. However I would be unable to afford to pay for 5 fans to be replaced by noctua's as they are around £15-£17 each...(I know they are worth it but i haven't got £75 to spare right now, + i'm 14). The corsair SP fan wasn't suppose to be for the CPU cooler at the time I purchased it, the stock Hyper 212 fan was creating annoying motor noises will booting and during demanding processes, which wasn't happening when I first built the PC.

Is there any other 'silent' fans that are affordable compared to the Noctua fans?

I was also thinking of changing the hyper 212 to something like the h60 or h80... Do you think this will make much difference to the sound levels? I recently installed a H60 into a friends build last weekend and was impressed by the sound levels (However he was using a different brand of PSU which ive know to be quieter compared to the current on in my build)

Most fans that are going to be considered "good fans" are going to come in around that same price point (£15-£17). I'm assuming you're in the UK given you quoted the price in pound sterling. What about the Corsair SP and AF series twin packs? You should be able to find them on Aria PC for about 20 quid so two for the price of one.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Most fans that are going to be considered "good fans" are going to come in around that same price point (£15-£17). I'm assuming you're in the UK given you quoted the price in pound sterling. What about the Corsair SP and AF series twin packs? You should be able to find them on Aria PC for about 20 quid so two for the price of one.
I think im going to stick with those Corsair AF and SP fans, Found a dual pack for £18 quid on amazon so i'm sorted... Hopefully ;)

My fans inside my PC where set to 100%, including the CPU, managed to lower them down to 50%... seems to be a little quieter now (Just) :)