Has anyone tried Remix OS? Linux/Android variant

I am thinking of building a sort of media PC for my ex. She doesn't like Linux or windows10 ,but she is very comfortable with her android devices. I thought she might enjoy a Android experience in her living room.

www.jide.com/remixos

So any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not that techy , I'm a lightly skilled amateur.

I'm also new to the forum so if I'm being a tool, tell me off.

its shit compared to proper opensource linux. its got bugs and less features. They have taken a OS with proprietary components designed for a very specific purpose and tried to turn it into something else, just to run the apps, but without proper partnership from the principal company (google). Remix is doomed to fail, especially now that chrome books can run android apps and they might be merging chrome books and android in the future. Within 12 months I'm betting Remix will start to drop off in development. It certainly will not be the first android x86 project to die.

Just install ubuntu and Kodi. You can set it to boot straight into Kodi and control it with the android app.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I'll look Kodi up.

I was kind of hoping for access to all the available apps on Android.

She's kind of intimidated by the unfamiliarity of Linux . I even tried Linux Mint on her , and it's practically an XP clone .  windows 10 is also unfamiliar to her soo...

I prefer Linux myself since I'm not a big gamer. It does everything I need it to with stability and relative security.

4 hours ago, Sithon1 said:

I'll look Kodi up.

I was kind of hoping for access to all the available apps on Android.

She's kind of intimidated by the unfamiliarity of Linux . I even tried Linux Mint on her , and it's practically an XP clone .  windows 10 is also unfamiliar to her soo...

I prefer Linux myself since I'm not a big gamer. It does everything I need it to with stability and relative security.

Shield tv? you would have to put media on USB drive but it has all android stuff and the DRM streaming services

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

My in-laws who are as tech savvy as to actually trying to wash a computer in a dishwasher if they could know how to use kodi. I'm quite sure she'll be able to handle it.

You can change the interface with skins, for ease of use. The only "problem" with kodi is if you want to stream 'illegally'? (not sure if it counts as illegal or not). but there are a lot of apps available for.

reminds me of the old windows media center.