Next upgrade??

CMDAdmin

I am thinking of upgrading my system, but I don't know where to go from what I have currently. Ideally, I would like it to be the next jump from what I have to the latest DDR4 RAM, kaby lake and all that good stuff!

Motherboard: MSI Gaming 5 Z97

CPU: i5-4690K

Cooling: Fans, fans and a Noctua NH-15

RAM: 2 x Samsung 8GB DDR3 (Some standard memory, nothing special)

GPU: 2 x Asus GTX 970

SSD: 256GB Samsung 850 Pro

I've got a rough idea of what I want (See below) Does anyone agree? Any other options I could consider? (GPU is next after this upgrade)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jQJYKZ

I'm looking to invest £1200 at most. ($1500)

kaby lake is shit and ddr4 doesn't make a 2+ fps difference in gaming.

get a better gpu and maybe a ssd if you dont have one, then save up the money and say wow intel, you didnt do shit! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Sorry updated,

1080ti it is then. Kinda torn between an NVME drive or a larger SSD.

2 minutes ago, CMDAdmin said:

Sorry updated,

NVMe does nothing unless you're working with 20+GB files and such. And that's an expensive mobo!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, CMDAdmin said:

Sorry updated,

While a 1080 Ti is certainly an upgrade over your GTX 970, IMO it's not worth the money unless you're running 4K displays or interested in the current beta state of VR. If you are, then yeah, grab a 1080 Ti and enjoy all those sweet, juicy frames. Otherwise I'd use the money you save by upgrading to a 1070 for future upgrades down the road. Top tier GPU's don't hold their value when their replacements are released ayway.

Personally, I'd either grab a larger SSD, or 2x smaller SSD's, then software RAID them using something like StableBit Drive Pool. You'll get the benefit of RAID1 duplication in case of failure, but have RAID0 read speeds with read striping enabled. This is how I obtain 1.1Gbps read speeds from my dual 500GB Crucial SSD's while maintaining duplication in case of failure.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

What power supply do you have running this?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

38 minutes ago, CMDAdmin said:

Sorry updated,

Larger SSD. Having only 256GB of storage would give me mad anxiety... I'm nervous about only having 512GB on my new laptop.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

11 minutes ago, kirashi said:

While a 1080 Ti is certainly an upgrade over your GTX 970, IMO it's not worth the money unless you're running 4K displays or interested in the current beta state of VR. If you are, then yeah, grab a 1080 Ti and enjoy all those sweet, juicy frames. Otherwise I'd use the money you save by upgrading to a 1070 for future upgrades down the road. Top tier GPU's don't hold their value when their replacements are released ayway.

Personally, I'd either grab a larger SSD, or 2x smaller SSD's, then software RAID them using something like StableBit Drive Pool. You'll get the benefit of RAID1 duplication in case of failure, but have RAID0 read speeds with read striping enabled. This is how I obtain 1.1Gbps read speeds from my dual 500GB Crucial SSD's while maintaining duplication in case of failure.

I just needed thoughts, this is the next big upgrade for me, so go easy on me lol. The build I have at the min, is only my second one. If I was going to RAID I would always go with hardware RAID, much easier to deal with. I've currently got a home server in RAID 5 (8TB) which I'll be upgrading later on in the year. Better RAID card, more storage, rack mount, but that's another project :P

2 hours ago, CMDAdmin said:

I just needed thoughts, this is the next big upgrade for me, so go easy on me lol. The build I have at the min, is only my second one. If I was going to RAID I would always go with hardware RAID, much easier to deal with. I've currently got a home server in RAID 5 (8TB) which I'll be upgrading later on in the year. Better RAID card, more storage, rack mount, but that's another project :P

Apologies - I did not mean to come across as harsh with my suggestions. Regardless, since this is all just planning stages, it's good to brainstorm every possibility to look at it from every angle. Then you have all the info you need to make an informed decision. :) 

As for hardware RAID, yeah it is indeed easier to initially configure for sure. Just remember that RAID is not a backup, so be sure to keep a backup of the data on your RAID array stored on regular non-RAID disk somewhere else too.

• If a hard drive fails with hardware or software RAID, it's simple to just replace the hard drive and do a rebuild on the array.
  • If the RAID hardware fails (card or motherboard) your array might be hooped if you can't source the exact same hardware part.
  • If your software RAID host OS becomes corrupt, no problem - simply reinstall the same OS and rebuild on another computer.
    • Even better: StableBit DrivePool writes data to hidden folders on the hard drives in the pool.
    • This means you can pop the drive into any computer that can read NTFS drives and access your data - no rebuild needed.

Please note: I'm not saying how one chooses software or hardware RAID is wrong - both have their purposes. What I am saying is that it's a lot easier to recover a software RAID array if your host OS breaks than it is to recover a hardware RAID array if your actual RAID hardware goes kaput. But at the end of the day, use whatever you're most comfortable with.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)