Misleading ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q Review by Linus

Punkrocker

I've just watched the review by Linus and boy oh boy is this mediocre. Having a CS GO player in your office try out this monitor is fine and dandy but NO WONDER HE MISSED EVERYTHING AT 144 HZ! When using a lower refresh rate on these monitors, they end up having a much longer latency than in their fastest / native mode. You should've had him sit at a native 144 Hz monitor vs the 240 one. The review was probably sponsored by Asus, that's my simplest guess. Any professional, when having noticed missed flick shots and general missed shot, would instantly measure the input latency in this lower refresh mode but noooo, Linus guesses this must have to do with the monitor indeed being more superior than expected. If I went by my guts like this professionally, I'd hardly be successful at all.

RMA

11 minutes ago, Punkrocker said:

I've just watched the review by Linus and boy oh boy is this mediocre. Having a CS GO player in your office try out this monitor is fine and dandy but NO WONDER HE MISSED EVERYTHING AT 144 HZ! When using a lower refresh rate on these monitors, they end up having a much longer latency than in their fastest / native mode. You should've had him sit at a native 144 Hz monitor vs the 240 one. The review was probably sponsored by Asus, that's my simplest guess. Any professional, when having noticed missed flick shots and general missed shot, would instantly measure the input latency in this lower refresh mode but noooo, Linus guesses this must have to do with the monitor indeed being more superior than expected. If I went by my guts like this professionally, I'd hardly be successful at all.

I'm not seeing anything online about "native refresh rates". Would you care to share where you got this info from that 120hz maximum on a 120hz monitor has less input lag than 120hz on a 144hz monitor?

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

It is funny how nobody cares about the way Linus has reviewed it.

Just now, leelaa14 said:

I'm not seeing anything online about "native refresh rates". Would you care to share where you got this info from that 120hz maximum on a 120hz monitor has less input lag than 120hz on a 144hz monitor?

Some monitors, when put into a lower refresh-rate gain a lot of latency, that's why he missed the flick shots or shots a lot in general.

Just now, Punkrocker said:

Some monitors, when put into a lower refresh-rate gain a lot of latency, that's why he missed the flick shots or shots a lot in general.

But where is your source for this, or are you too just going off a "gut feeling". I can't find anything online about it.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Just now, leelaa14 said:

But where is your source for this, or are you too just going off a "gut feeling". I can't find anything online about it.

Sure, it is in all reviews, check out tftcentral. I mean, look how he's playing, it turns from good into terrible, missing so many shots, which is obviously latency.

Just now, Punkrocker said:

Sure, it is in all reviews, check out tftcentral.

Well I've never seen this in reviews. I use tftcentral myself for my icc profiles and read reviews on my vg248qe and pg278q. You seem to know where to find it though, so I'll patiently wait for you to link it. :)

The ROG Swift PG258Q was a very impressive gaming screen and one of the best we've tested to date. The response times were very low and the overdrive impulse was controlled nicely across a wide refresh rate range, with only low levels of overshoot being apparent. That's quite rare for a fast TN Film screen and we were impressed. The high 144Hz range refresh rates made an obvious improvement to motion clarity over 60Hz panels as we've become accustomed to with gaming displays for several years now. But the improvements offered by 200 and 240Hz modes become apparent on this display and offered again a decent improvement in motion clarity we felt. The addition of a strobed ULMB backlight system was very welcome as well. It was probably the best ULMB implementation we've seen so far in fact with a very good maximum brightness potential. If only we could also use it at 200 and 240Hz! Lag was low as ever from a G-sync screen, and the G-sync function provided the obvious benefits of that variable refresh rate technology.

Seems like they tested 200-240hz on the same display and could see the difference between the two. basically tested the same way Linus did and that's from the site you said you get your info from.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg258q.htm#testing_methodology