Can I use my old laptop's key to activate windows on a new pc?

CasualGamer...

I am currently saving up for a pc, and I have an old laptop running windows 8.1. I was wondering if I could use the key from that machine to activate windows 10 on my new system. I am willing to deactivate windows on the old system, as long I can get the key so I don't have to spend 100$ on windows 10 for my new system.

Just now, CasualGamer... said:

I am currently saving up for a pc, and I have an old laptop running windows 8.1. I was wondering if I could use the key from that machine to activate windows 10 on my new system. I am willing to deactivate windows on the old system, as long I can get the key so I don't have to spend 100$ on windows 10 for my new system.

I believe that Windows 8.1 associates its key with the motherboard hash. If that's the case then no, you cannot. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Hey, you know what they all say! Unactivated Windows is hardly any different from activated windows except for personalization features and 'Activate Windows' message at the bottom right corner. But if you go through the side entrance to using piracy that is an option too. What I am saying is that you don't need to spend 100$ to remove a watermark.

You can always try moving the hard drive over and see if it boots. You can also see if Linux Mint or Ubuntu would fill in your needs.

No. Laptop keys are OEM and tied to mobo. Only way to get it working would be register key for Win10 and there with MS account. That way in can be moved. But otherwise its new key time. You can use Win10 for 30-90 days free all features activated and with limited features forever.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv