PS4 Failure Rate

JLCitadel

Article One Quote - "There have been some reports surfacing about PS4 units received early suffering from hardware problems. As a matter of fact, several sites have been scrambling to report about every bricked unit they can find. At the moment we have learned of seven different PS4 units suffering from a variety of hardware problems. As a term of comparison, in 2008 the Xbox 360 was reported to have a 16% failure ratio, while the PS3 and the Wii had a 3% failure ratio. According to Consumer Reports data the average failure ratio of consumer electronic sits at around 15%. Sony told Game Informer that the correct percentage is 0.4%and not 0.04% as they previously told IGN (and Game Informer itself). While It’s worse than the 0.2% resulting from my earlier calculations, it’s still definitely a very low percentage compared to the failure rate of any electronic device, and again, the road to the 3% of failure rate of the PS3 is still very long, and hopefully it’ll never be fully traveled."

Article Two Quote - "As it turns out, a piece of metal in the HDMI port that should have been flush with the bottom of the port was sticking up. This prevented the HDMI cord from being plugged in all the way and damaged each of the cords (in identical fashion) that had been plugged in. The solution was to, simply enough, press the piece of metal down so that it was no longer in the way. With that done, the system now works as it should."

Article Two Quote Two - "The cause of this problem is unclear at this point, and we don't yet have any indication that this specific issue was anything more than a fluke. However, just to be safe, if you get your hands on a PS4 today or in the coming weeks, you'll want to examine the HDMI port to ensure your system doesn't have a similar issue."

Source : http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/14/ps4-reported-failure-rate-is-under-0-2-so-far-time-to-calm-down/

HDMI Issue : http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/15/ps4-hdmi-issue-traced-back-to-upright-metal-in-port

My Statement: Well it looks like the failure rates were quite exasperated, although you cannot guarantee the figures are very accurate as they might be trying to keep people calm. Either way, it's much lower then what a lot of people were talking about. Honestly either way when you have a massive product launch there's bound to be an error rate near 1-5%. The fact they were able to keep it under 1% is actually impressive. I'm not going to be purchasing a console till the second iteration, but for those early adopters this is good news.

I hardly ever post news so my formatting might not be very appealing, sorry if it bothers you.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, sucks........

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I too am impressed that the failure rate is so low. I'm not surprised that it's being blown up online to seem bigger than it is though, those with bad units are always a million times more vocal than those with good units.

I too am impressed that the failure rate is so low. I'm not surprised that it's being blown up online to seem bigger than it is though, those with bad units are always a million times more vocal than those with good units.

Yeah like always with any product.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the BestBuy that I work at, we only had 50-ish PS4's at launch, and so far we have gotten about 3-4 of them back for blue light issues.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

At the BestBuy that I work at, we only had 50-ish PS4's at launch, and so far we have gotten about 3-4 of them back for blue light issues.

that's around 7%, from which I'm assuming is the more unlucky group to be had. That's not horrible for mass production

Hopefully this will stop people complaining about them all not working, I'm interested to see Xbox's failure rate too, hopefully they learnt from last gen :P

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Hopefully this will stop people complaining about them all not working, I'm interested to see Xbox's failure rate too, hopefully they learnt from last gen :P

Haha I would die a happy man if 'XBOX ONE RROD' happened

I still don't believe that number. Most single parts that the PS4 is made of have a higher failure rate than that, so for everything to be put together into a single device you'd think it would at least be at least on par with the PS3 rates. 0.4% is absurdly low, not as absurdly low as the previous 0.04%, but still.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

I still don't believe that number. Most single parts that the PS4 is made of have a higher failure rate than that, so for everything to be put together into a single device you'd think it would at least be at least on par with the PS3 rates. 0.4% is absurdly low, not as absurdly low as the previous 0.04%, but still.

I agree to a certain extent. It won't be THAT much higher then 1 or 2%

My PS4 has been working fine since launch thus far. My HDMI port wasn't damaged and my console is in the open so I doubt I'l have any overheating problems.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

wow i feel sorry for the ps4 users that sent their consoles out for repair when all they had to do it push a piece of metal out of the way

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros