Strix 1080 fan problem

pappsz

Hello,

I posted a while ago, about my strix 1080's problem. The problem is that during post it does not spin up and when the 0dB fan mode is turned off (GPUTweakII) it still does not want to spin up. 

So I took it back to the shop's service to check it. After a few days they informed me that the card is OK and I can get it. There they told me that the fans did spin up during POST and that the fans are controlled seperately and the one that I thought has some problem only starts spinning when the card hits around 76 Celsius. I argued with that for a little while, but I accepted it and had to pay for this evaluation.

So I took the card home, reinstalled it back to my PC and it spinned up during startup and the fan operated at every time when I turned off 0dB fan or the card hit the temperature to turn the fans on. I was happy for a while. After that while, that one ( the first one from the display ports) stopped spinng and again during post it did not run up. So I wrote an e-mail to Asus about this proble, and the guy told me that according to these information my card is deffective and I should take it back to the shop so they can repair it, I took it back to the shop's service argued with the guy there about the normal fan operation of this card and he said that he is going to send the card to the local (hungarian) distributor to have it checked. I also asked the Asus tech support guy about the normal fan operation (does it controll them seperately or all 3 are controlled at the same time), he informed me that it controlls all 3 so the info that the shop's service gave me was incorrect.

A week passed and I got a call from them and once again they informed me that the card is good and that it had no problem. 

The distributor also wrote the same thing, that it controlls the fans seperately and that it spinned up above 70 Celsius and during post too. So I showed a video that I made about the fans during Post where that specific fan did not spin up. I also showed the e-mail that I got from the tech support and they said it is incorrect.

So once again I took it back home, tried it in a different PCI-e socket to see if it has anything to do with it. It turned out that it has nothing to do with this issue.

I continued to communicate with the tech support and they asked me if this changes anything in the performance of the card. I replied that yes, but not much. I think at this price tag I should get a fully functioning card and I also chose this card because of it's good aircooling.

Now I asked him what else can I do, because I can't take this back to the store's service, because the distributor told them it is OK. The guy told me that I can RMA it back to them so it will be repaired in a different place and it can take up to 1,5 months to repair it. 

I asked him if they could just do a refound or change the card to a new one or if they could give me a card that I can use during that time, because I am using this card for content creation. This was 3 days ago and he only replied that they can't give me anything during repairing.

TLDR:

1. If anyone of you knows exatly how the fans should operate please share that information with me because I really need to know this. (Asus Strix 1080 -8G)

2. Do you have any idea what else (if the card is operating normally elsewhere) can cause that fan to not spin in my PC.

3. Do you have any recomendation on what should I do next, because I don't have anything to replace this card and I really need to do my job. (the above mentioned "it's OK" repairings took two weeks away from me)

(Sorry if my english was bad, it is currently 00:52 in the evening in hungary)

i dont get your problem,how are the temps?
have you tried custom fan curves?

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

I tried it, but even if I turn the fans up to 99% that specific one still not spins up while the other 2 are spinning fine.

The temps are not that bad, but I think I can expect the fans to function normaly (for this amount of money) (if that is the normal operation)

10 hours ago, McHox said:

i dont get your problem,how are the temps?
have you tried custom fan curves?

As I can see you have a Strix card, how does your fans work? This would help a lot.

12 hours ago, pappsz said:

3. Do you have any recomendation on what should I do next

yes...stop worrying about it and enjoy your games mate.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR