Help me select RAM?

Go to solution Solved by pommedeterror007,
14 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

My rig has an i7-4790 which has a voltage restriction recommendation of 1.5V on memory. I have my eyes on new ram to replace my older one. 1x8Gb to 2x8Gb

They come in DDR3-1600 1.5V (so I can stay in the recommended safe zone.)
and a DDR3-2400 1.6V which fails to comply with the recommendation but has higher mhz.

The PC is mainly for gaming, coding, school work and when I browse I easily have 10-20 pages open most of the time.

My Question is: Which should I pick? Is 1600mhz still acceptable for 1080p@100fps gaming and all the multitasking or should I go against the not-so-risky-to-my-understanding recommendation and go with the faster 2400mhz 1.65V?

Linus made a video about this. Basically Speed has little affect on most computer tasks, where it will help a good amount is if you use integrated Graphics for gaming etc.

My rig has an i7-4790 which has a voltage restriction recommendation of 1.5V on memory. I have my eyes on new ram to replace my older one. 1x8Gb to 2x8Gb

and a DDR3-2400 1.6V which fails to comply with the recommendation but has higher mhz.

The PC is mainly for gaming, coding, school work and when I browse I easily have 10-20 pages open most of the time.

My Question is: Which should I pick? Is 1600mhz still acceptable for 1080p@100fps gaming and all the multitasking or should I go against the not-so-risky-to-my-understanding recommendation and go with the faster 2400mhz 1.65V?

14 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Linus made a video about this. Basically Speed has little affect on most computer tasks, where it will help a good amount is if you use integrated Graphics for gaming etc.

18 hours ago, pommedeterror007 said:

Who's Linus?

bad joke.

Found the videos, thanks for your help man! I guess I'm sticking to the recommended voltage and going with slower ram!

Edit: the difference will only be at most 4-5 fps in gaming and all other tasks. In some cases the slower speeds perform better than the newer ones and the speed only counts when it comes to benchmarks and such tests which are pointless on a consumer need basis.

1 minute ago, Casual Cube said:

Who's Linus?

bad joke.

Found the videos, thanks for your help man! I guess I'm sticking to the recommended voltage and going with slower ram!

Use PCPartpicker.com. It has alot of filter options including memory speeds and voltage. I saw plenty ranging from 1600MHZ to 2133mhz on 1.5V. Good luck!