[Help] m.2 ssd not recognized.

Karatekidhero
Go to solution Solved by Blebekblebek,

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools>Computer management>Storage>Disk management

Format, set Drive letter and done.

Hello. I recently bought a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD to put into my msi z270 m3 motherboard. However it does not show up in windows. I have read somewhere that not all motherboards are compatible with both m.2 and other drives? In addition I am using both a 1tb hdd and a 250gb ssd with windows on it.

I would appreciate any help :)

I bought the same M.2 with an MSI Z170.

Unplugged other drives to install OS

and had no probs.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

I remember I had an issue with even the BIOS not recognizing the M.2 I tried to install. That was due to my lack of understanding that PCIe and SATA M.2s are two different things, and I had an incompatible one with my motherboard. Not saying it is the case here, but just sharing my experience.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3,5GHz

-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3i

Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate LGA1151 ATX

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2133MHz

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 White

-Fans: 3x Corsair HD120 1x Corsair AF140L

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW

PSU: Corsair CX600M

Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD (System disk) + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (Storage)

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wPhTtJ

yes exactly as Ser James said M.2 does not always = nvme support. Check to see if your motherboard supports it. sometimes you need to update your motherboard firmware(BIOS)

6 minutes ago, Rubin Chen said:

yes exactly as Ser James said M.2 does not always = nvme support. Check to see if your motherboard supports it. sometimes you need to update your motherboard firmware(BIOS)

I really dont know what to look for on the mobo spec sheet.

39 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

I bought the same M.2 with an MSI Z170.

Unplugged other drives to install OS

and had no probs.

I am not trying to install windows on the m.2. I have windows as OEM on my 250gb ssd sadly

31 minutes ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

I remember I had an issue with even the BIOS not recognizing the M.2 I tried to install. That was due to my lack of understanding that PCIe and SATA M.2s are two different things, and I had an incompatible one with my motherboard. Not saying it is the case here, but just sharing my experience.

Just to clarify: my m.2 ssd has nothing to do with sata, right? And my other two drives, are they even able to work with my m.2? And when you talk about pcie and sata, are you talking about the power cable? Im really new to all this.

new drives are comes unformatted, it doesn't matter what slot/model it is, it will never shows up until you format and assign it.

there's a differences with "not recognized by windows" and "not detected by system", at this point I don't know which one.

if the hardware already detected in device manager, then all you need to do is format and assign it.

now if this drive isn't showing up even in BIOS/UEFI then, try to re-plug it, and maybe unplug the rest of the drive.

Edited by Blebekblebek
autocorrect

28 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

new drives are comes unformulated, it doesn't matter what slot/model it is, it will never shows up until you format and assign it.

there's a differences with "not recognized by windows" and "not detected by system", at this point I don't know which one.

if the hardware already detected in device manager, then all you need to do is format and assign it.

now if this drive isn't showing up even in BIOS/UEFI then, try to re-plug it, and maybe unplug the rest of the drive.

Im not home ATM . It does show up in the Bios though. I will try the device manager steps when I am home. Thank you

your board does seem to support pcie ssd. with one pcie ssd, all your sata ports should work according to the manual. there is a bios update "Improved M2 device compatibility." bios 1.1. might wanna try that

37 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

your board does seem to support pcie ssd. with one pcie ssd, all your sata ports should work according to the manual. there is a bios update "Improved M2 device compatibility." bios 1.1. might wanna try that

Thank you! Do I need to update it manually? 

9 minutes ago, Karatekidhero said:

Thank you! Do I need to update it manually? 

yea. download the update from here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-M3.html#down-bios the 1.1ver should do fine. just copy the file(E7A62IMS.110) to a thumbdrive. boot into bios, and there should be an option for a bios update or flash or something like that. point it to the file in the thumbdrive. that should update it. but you might wanna check the bios settings first to check if you missed out anything to enable the pcie ssd. havent dealt with them before so im not too sure about the settings in this board.

22 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

new drives are comes unformatted, it doesn't matter what slot/model it is, it will never shows up until you format and assign it.

Your solution worked! I was able to do it just fine from control panel :)

21 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

yea. download the update from here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-M3.html#down-bios the 1.1ver should do fine. just copy the file(E7A62IMS.110) to a thumbdrive. boot into bios, and there should be an option for a bios update or flash or something like that. point it to the file in the thumbdrive. that should update it. but you might wanna check the bios settings first to check if you missed out anything to enable the pcie ssd. havent dealt with them before so im not too sure about the settings in this board.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
On 5/31/2017 at 1:52 AM, Blebekblebek said:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools>Computer management>Storage>Disk management

Format, set Drive letter and done.

You are a god send.