New Cooler, Higher Temps?

Go to solution Solved by MuVori,
1 minute ago, Bembi said:

It came pre-applied by NZXT, I do have some though, do you think it would be worth it to take it off, clean it off, and reapply??

It sounds to me something went wrong with getting the CPU and heatsink attatched to eachother, if it came pre-applied it should be good though. Is the heatsink screwed in well? Like it not having any possible air-gaps?

Hi all! 

I just upgraded my CPU cooler from a Cooler master 25GBP air cooler, to a nice NZXT Kraken x42 closed loop liquid cooler. I did this because under heavy load my processor (i7 6800k) would reach temps of around 93C. I also wanted to be able to overclock my CPU after I upgraded, so I bought this neat piece of kit!

After spending 9 hours last night setting the thing up (I had some problems xD Check previous post if you're interested in my stupidity) I had it up and running. So I started stress testing it with Prime95 to see if everything would hold up. I was only able to run it for about 5 minutes before temps came to about 91ishC, and kept climbing.. not very fast mind you, sort of creeping upwards. 

The only reason this leads me to believe something is wrong is because I see other people using Prime 95 to stress test and they are able to run their program for hours and hours on end... maybe I'm stress testing wrong? Or I'm choosing too high a setting and its too much for my CPU? Im not really sure.. I could have even done something wrong when installing the thing that I couldnt find a place for it to go, its a small bracket that said should go on the back of the motherboard but I couldn't get it to fit... 

As I am righting this I'm starting to think it should have gone on the front of the Motherboard and then the standoff screws go on top.... I wont take any action just yet, ill wait for someone with more knowledge than me to help me out! Last thing I want is to break anything lol.

Attached are the benchmark results from both before and after I upgraded the Cooler.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give! Its really appreciated. :)

Before - PC 1.0 - Red Panda 28-05-2017.xlsx

After - PC 1.1 - Red Panda 29-05-2017.xlsx

did you apply thermal compound to the CPU before installing the heatsink?

Just now, MuVori said:

did you apply thermal compound to the CPU before installing the heatsink?

It came pre-applied by NZXT, I do have some though, do you think it would be worth it to take it off, clean it off, and reapply??

1 minute ago, Bembi said:

It sounds to me something went wrong with getting the CPU and heatsink attatched to eachother, if it came pre-applied it should be good though. Is the heatsink screwed in well? Like it not having any possible air-gaps?

Just now, MuVori said:

Ill give it a check! Hold on!

X42 is pretty small. good air coolers are widely regarded as better than a single fan AIO.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 minute ago, asand1 said:

X 42 is pretty small. good air coolers are widely regarded as better than a single fans AIO.

Ahh thats good to know! I'm actually upgrading my case soon so I will have enough space for the larger one, I could return this one and get the larger one :) but for now this will do, I just didnt want my CPU dying on me because of all the exam work I have coming up. Great to know though! Thanks :)

38 minutes ago, MuVori said:

You were correct sir! I took the CPU block off and cleaned it then realised that all the standoff screws were barely even screwed in...! 

So I tightened them, applied some more compound and poof! Idle around 31C, under load 60C! Thanks so much :)

Just now, Bembi said:

You were correct sir! I took the CPU block off and cleaned it then realised that all the standoff screws were barely even screwed in...! 

So I tightened them, applied some more compound and poof! Idle around 31C, under load 60C! Thanks so much :)

You don't believe how frustrating this was for me, with a Q6600 of all things, I was freaking out too. Glad I could help!

What was just a quick CPU cooling switch from a Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO, to a Kraken x42 CPU water cooler, turned into a 9 hour clown fiesta.

So far I have surpassed every thing this thing has thrown at me, but I've been tripped at the last hurdle. There I can't seem to find 2 four pin fan connecters that is used for the pump. WIN_20170529_03_13_28_Pro.jpg.7490f1cebf5f8e8ef0ca021e6520c7e2.jpgThese are the 2 four pin connecters (sorry for the image quality) I cant for the life of e work out they are meant to go.

Those are outputs for running two fans, probably the radiator fan and a case fan. What is the radiator fan currently plugged into? The radiator fan plugs into the socket with four pins, the socket with the missing pins is for a secondary fan.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430