4k Aimed Build

Go to solution Solved by Frederiktou,

Thanks for your inputs. I've done further research myself and I've taken a choice to keep the i5-7600k (suits my needs perfectly + there is currently a cashback campaign if you buy a motherboard from asus and buy an intel processer aswell) and I decided to go with the GTX 1080 aswell.

Hey there!

So, my current computer has sadly said goodbye for this time. Therefore, I am buying a pc with aim of playing in 4k. I have picked out a great store ik my country, and all I need is some validation from some... tech nerds.. to confirm and validate that my upcoming purchase could run games in 4k.

Here is the specifications:

CPU: i5-7600k

CPU FAN: Corsair H100

Motherboard: Asus Z270H ROG Strix Sli

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengaence XMP RAM

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG Strix

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C (with 3 x 120mm fans)

Power: Corsair TX750M 750W 80plus gold

Other: Asus ROG SupremeFX, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Screen (I am considering to buy): Asus PB287Q 4k 1ms

Do you think this setup will run 4k without problems?

thanks in advance!

get ryzen

a 1070 might struggle with some games at 4k

My budget is around $1900. I live in Denmark. 

I'm not a fan of AMD processors or Radeon GPU's I'm afraid, sorry. I have had bad experienced with both.

The cost of the cpu cooler is probably more than the difference between a 7600k and a 7700k

There is probably a cheaper z mobo that doesn't have sli (the idea of doing sli later is not a good one)

You may want to consider a 250gb ssd plus a large harddrive

PSU is decent, though in this price range it'd be nice to see an evga g2/3 or a corsair RM. You don't need 750w.

What is Asus ROG SupremeFX as 'other'? I know it as part of their motherboards. If you are planning to buy a sound card, don't bother. 

There are cheaper 1070s, though a 1080 might be better on 4k. I'd get one of the cheaper 1080s and save money elsewhere, such as mobo and storage. 

400c is a good case, but you probably don't need so many fans.

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

Just now, Frederiktou said:

My budget is around $1900. I live in Denmark. 

I'm not a fan of AMD processors or Radeon GPU's I'm afraid, sorry. I have had bad experienced with both.

not saying you to get a radeon gpu becuz there isn't an amd card that truly competes with 1070 atm, im saying for 4k gaming you should get a 1080 or 1080ti or get a 1440p monitor

ryzen 5 or 7 is better overall, i am sure some people will show you why but just look at r5 1600 vs i5 7600k meanwhile 

Just now, killer5247 said:

i mean 1900 USD or EUROS

USD ;)

Don't let brand choice dictate your choice... with that being said, nobody sane would buy the i5-7600K today when a R5 1600 is available.

I might suggest dropping the CPU down to a R5 1400 and grabbing a GTX 1080/Ti since you're going to be GPU-limited at 4K. Or get the R5 1600 and skip on the AIO.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, killer5247 said:

colour scheme for PC

None really.. I would rather have something that is neutral and mature. I do not need a fancy case or RGB lightning.

Your REALLY need to check out Ryzen. The new CPU by AMD is miles ahead of what they use to create and they now smash Intels i5s and can go neck and neck with i7s kaby lake depending on the game and if its 1080p/4k and if your recording/streaming during it. It's also important to rember 4k gaming realizes a lot more of the gpu than the cpu going from 180p (because 1080p will push so much more fps from the gpu) but you still don't wanna slack off too much in the CPU department.

4 minutes ago, killer5247 said:

Very nice build. Only problem is, I live in Denmark where prices of hardware is significally higher than US stores. That build, in Denmark, would probably cost 20-35% more than the listed price.

@RAM555789My understanding was that Ryzen wasn't the best for pure gaming builds. Granted at 4k it'll probably be the gpu holding things back, but do you have any reviews that say otherwise? (Not being a douche honest, I'd be interested to see).

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

26 minutes ago, Elehat said:

@RAM555789My understanding was that Ryzen wasn't the best for pure gaming builds. Granted at 4k it'll probably be the gpu holding things back, but do you have any reviews that say otherwise? (Not being a douche honest, I'd be interested to see).

Thats the thing. Reviews have been varying widely due to certain games being more or less optimized for Ryzen. Looking to the future with DX12 and Vulcan things are looking better, while games that are more optimized for quad core processing you will see the blue team winning. The reason I say the Ryzen beats out the i5 is because you save that bit of money for a more future set performance with DX12 and Vulcan. When comparing the Ryzen 1600x to the i5 7600k we see the i5 performing better in gaming and slightly in desktop but Ryzen will VASTLY outperform in workstation. Under the right game the Ryzen will pull right up alongside the i5 and when your start doing other processes with the game like recording the Ryzen starts to pull ahead. 

Source: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/3885vs3920

19 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Thats the thing. Reviews have been varying widely due to certain games being more or less optimized for Ryzen. Looking to the future with DX12 and Vulcan things are looking better, while games that are more optimized for quad core processing you will see the blue team winning. The reason I say the Ryzen beats out the i5 is because you save that bit of money for a more future set performance with DX12 and Vulcan. When comparing the Ryzen 1600x to the i5 7600k we see the i5 performing better in gaming and slightly in desktop but Ryzen will VASTLY outperform in workstation. Under the right game the Ryzen will pull right up alongside the i5 and when your start doing other processes with the game like recording the Ryzen starts to pull ahead. 

Source: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/3885vs3920

Thanks for this, I clearly have some research to do, it seems the conclusion is a contingent on multiple factors as ever. I'm also sure that the OP will do the same if they value the the best price to performance for their build.

Thanks for your inputs. I've done further research myself and I've taken a choice to keep the i5-7600k (suits my needs perfectly + there is currently a cashback campaign if you buy a motherboard from asus and buy an intel processer aswell) and I decided to go with the GTX 1080 aswell.