Folding@home gpu usage

Go to solution Solved by alextheaverage,
2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

they dont they run at 100%

I was mistaken, from the quick search around the F@H forums I just did it seems that GPU folding is either on or off.  I don't believe there is a way to limit the power through the F@H control panel.

You could try undervolting and under clocking your cards, the should preform around the same and at least on many AMD cards it does wonders for power draw, heat, and noise.  That may be your solution here.

so can i change the settings so that it uses less my gpu

i want it down to like 30% so my gpu lasts longer and doesnt output so much heat in my already hot room. and i will let it run in the background like that and just close it when going to play a game

I believe that the medium setting will run the GPU at 50%, but that's as low as it will go.

Just now, alextheaverage said:

I believe that the medium setting will run the GPU at 50%, but that's as low as it will go.

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

I was mistaken, from the quick search around the F@H forums I just did it seems that GPU folding is either on or off.  I don't believe there is a way to limit the power through the F@H control panel.

You could try undervolting and under clocking your cards, the should preform around the same and at least on many AMD cards it does wonders for power draw, heat, and noise.  That may be your solution here.

1 hour ago, Ethocreeper said:

so can i change the settings so that it uses less my gpu

i want it down to like 30% so my gpu lasts longer and doesnt output so much heat in my already hot room. and i will let it run in the background like that and just close it when going to play a game

Unfortunately, it's either full power on or completely off. There's no way to use only some of it.

For durability, you don't really need to worry all that much. If temps are good and it's well cooled, it'll last longer than you'll use it. As for the heat, you can try to limit your GPU via underclock, undervolting (if you'r not using Pascal) and even power % limiting. That's a janky way, but it's all you've got.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!