Help installing new OS

Go to solution Solved by BobyTheDragon,
17 hours ago, MaxTheMonster said:

Lubuntu is good, but why can't you go into BIOS/UEFI on your Mac and enable USB boot?

That should work if you can do such a thing.

Cant seem to find the BIOS/UEFI on the mac.

9 hours ago, noahdvs said:

If you're ok with having space used up by a desktop environment you don't use, you can always just use

sudo apt install lubuntu-desktop

instead of reinstalling Linux.

Thank you! Ive already reinstalled everything but I will keep this in mind for the future.

Also figured out to that in GRUB i could press C to go to shell and mount + boot off the USB.

Hi, I currently have an old Mac mini 2007. Its running Ubuntu at the moment and i'm trying to completely install a new Linux distro (Lubuntu because its "light weight"). Reasons of doing this? Ubuntu is great and all but its really bad on this machine, The machine is a 1 core with 2gb ram and Ubuntu is not happy with it. I was hoping a copy of Lubuntu would make it somewhat capable for web browsing. Wheres the old Mac OS install? I have no idea at all...

The problems I'm having right now is how the hell do I install the new distro. Macs system for choosing a hard disks doesn't show the usb (Only "Windows" even though its actually Ubuntu). Just FYI I have no idea on how macs work and I know REALLY basic Linux skills. What I think I need is a boot loader other than GRUB (Its either GRUB is broken or it doesn't have GRUB at all). Is that right? If so can someone link me to a good one?

And also would it be worth using Lubuntu? Or a copy of Windows XP instead?

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

20 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

Lubuntu

i would use that or get something like retropi. 

20 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

Windows XP

depends, its going out of date. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i would use that or get something like retropi. 

depends, its going out of date. 

True windows xp is quite old and the security wouldn't be the best now that I think about it.

Lubuntu is good, but why can't you go into BIOS/UEFI on your Mac and enable USB boot?

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

If you're ok with having space used up by a desktop environment you don't use, you can always just use

17 hours ago, MaxTheMonster said:

Cant seem to find the BIOS/UEFI on the mac.

9 hours ago, noahdvs said:

Thank you! Ive already reinstalled everything but I will keep this in mind for the future.

Also figured out to that in GRUB i could press C to go to shell and mount + boot off the USB.