Audio Issues on PC

jslowik

Hey guys,

I've been having some odd audio issues. I have a relatively "cheap" set of Logitech speakers (the 2.1 units). This is actually the second set that I've had because I've been having the problems for a while now, and initially I thought it might be the speakers.

Anyway I really only get audio out of the left channel, and during gaming I get some strange crackling/popping. Given that this is the second set of speakers I've had with the same issue, is it likely that this is an issue related to the onboard sound from the motherboard? It's an Asus Z170-A. Would my best bet be purchasing a discrete sound card?

Thanks for any insight you've got!

crackles and pops hmmm are you using the mobo for your audio?

if so you might want to think about getting a sound card.

you can get some pretty cheap my gigabyte mobo audio died with crackles  and pops. 

4 hours ago, ClippTube said:

Your luck with speakers must be really bad

I wouldn't doubt this.

4 hours ago, linustouchtips said:

you can get some pretty cheap my gigabyte mobo audio died with crackles  and pops. 

Asus Z170-A. So not top of the line, but I didn't consider it bottom of the barrel when I purchased it.

Seems to kind of confirm my theory that I should probably try out the discrete sound card idea. Thanks, guys!

If you're only getting audio from one side, then check that you've plugged the cable in properly. Make sure any cables between the speakers/sub/control are also properly plugged in.

Try using a different source (a phone or mp3 player) to see if the problem is the speakers or the computer. If it's the computer then try both front and rear connectors, as one may have been broken/damaged.

Check your audio settings, both windows and whichever audio driver your computer uses to make sure you've not panned your audio fully to one side. Also check whatever program you're playing out of for being panned to one side. You should also check the file/source with a known working device and pair of headphones/speakers to make sure that has audio down both channels.