Upgrade old, but reliable system (~£3k budget)

My first post on this forums, so big HELLO!

There's a lot to this thread, but I'll try to keep it short.

I'm software engineer by profession and gamer by heart and I want machine that I can reliably do both on.

I have an old 7.5 years old PC! but it's still very reliable and does most of what I need (apart from the games running beautifully). Here's the list what I have now: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/oshsama/saved/FVQvK8

To say shortly what I need the most is new graphics card, storage and more memory. Here's more or less what I'm looking to buy: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/oshsama/saved/GPKD3C

Why am I thinking of buying those?

- Ryzen 1800X I know that CPU can last long time and I hope with those 8 cores this will (heopfully) last long time for me. I want those extra cores for multitasking while I'm working etc;

- motherboard is simply to satisfy my IO needs. Not sure why I would spend twice as much or more for features that I don't think I would ever need;

- I want fast memory for great performance in games and running multiple VMs when needed - 32GB for now with option to upgrade to 64GB if needed in few years;

- if you looked at my current part list you probably noticed I still use HDD *cries*. I want a really fast disk for changing branches in repositories, reindexing symbols etc. (work) and over-all great performance. I read that apparently those M2 drives deliver such great IOPS numbers, because they have built-in RAID controllers and I can achieve virtually the same using regular, much cheaper SSDs in RAID mode - is this really the case, is there no bottle-neck on either of those options?;

- graphics this is mainly for gaming and I think there's no real reason to pay premium for Ti or even new Titan (btw, I want to run my games on nearly max settings, I hope this will be enough)

- monitor of choice is either Acer Predator XB271hu vs Asus ROG PG279Q (27" 1440p IPS with G-sync and high refresh rate)

I think you get a drift of what am I looking to get. Now the real question is what do I do with all these parts that I have and what am I looking to get.

I started questioning buying half of the new parts - maybe there's no need for that. I was thinking that I would probably try to sell the old computer in one box rather than in parts, somehow it feels better, but then again I potentially lose even more value this way. Then I was thinking of what else can I do and I started thinking of building on top of my existing PC. What a crazy idea! mixing 7 y/o parts with some of the market newest, but maybe it's not that crazy after all.

Here's what I need help with - will it even work and if so - is it worth it?

So I would stick to my CPU and motherboard (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_SE/specifications/). I can get better cooling and fairly easy OC my PC to 4GHz stable (got i7 920 d0). I actually played with it already and I'm running 3.6Ghz right now on simple cooler and the temps are stable around 45-50 deg. It does get up to around 80 under stress-test, but while playing it hardly ever goes above 55. I guess, this would be enough for a while. The question is - am I able to install Nvidia 1080 in this? I have PCIe 2.0 x16, but apparently this is backwards compatible. I'm quite a nub with this, so Idk what performance am I actually losing? I imagine in gaming data is being loaded from disk to the graphics card, rendered over there and put through to display and CPU has not much to do with that. So the slowest part would be the initial load of the data. Am I correct (probably not)? Another incompatible part is the storage, cause I obviously don't have M2, but this is details - I can either RAID SSDs or use PCIe. Memory I can get up to 24GB 2 x 3-channel (OC to 2GHz) which should be enough for a while. PSU I have good, case as well, would just probably buy USB 3.1 adapter or something.

One last thing I want to mention is that I consider to start streaming, but I don't think that would have a massive impact even on my old skeleton?

What do you guys think about this? Please advice :)

Best regards,

Osh

Not sure what happened, but I corrected it now :)

1 hour ago, oshsama said:

-snip-

id personally get the crosshair mobo, it has all the usb youll ever need, and is one of the best boards you can get

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, Ottens238 said:

Your first link doesn't work here.....

Yea your first link doesn't work but here are some of my concerns 

wheres the CPU cooler for the ryzen 1800x 

sense you've got the most expensive parts in why not just build a whole new PC I mean 7.5 years is along time

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

1 minute ago, Ottens238 said:

Which games are you going to play??

I dont think this would matter with a 3k budget.......

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

id personally get the crosshair mobo, it has all the usb youll ever need, and is one of the best boards you can get

Yes definitely ASUS

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

PCPartPicker URL

Just now, NotTayyeb said:

I dont think this would matter with a 3k budget.......

You'll never know....

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

I know it's one of the best, but I don't want to waste money on stuff that I don't need and the one I listed has everything I need :)

Just now, Ottens238 said:

Which games are you going to play??

Right now I'm playing WoW :P but would love to play with high details and fps (need high FPS for competitiveness). On top of that would like to play some new FPS like Overwatch, Doom, upcoming Quake Champions etc.

I would get the acer monitor (I have that one), and if you take the advice to build a whole new PC a zotac amp extreme 1080 ti will last you awhile 

PCPartPicker URL

21 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

Yea your first link doesn't work but here are some of my concerns 

wheres the CPU cooler for the ryzen 1800x 

sense you've got the most expensive parts in why not just build a whole new PC I mean 7.5 years is along time

I fixed the link since.

The list is not comprehensive yet. It's more like a guidance right now, there's CPU cooler missing, PSU, case etc..

My original plan was to buy everything new, but now I'm questioning the reason for that - I might be able to save few hundred on motherboard, PSU and case.

19 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

I would get the acer monitor (I have that one), and if you take the advice to build a whole new PC a zotac amp extreme 1080 ti will last you awhile 

1080 will last for a while just like 1080Ti... I think the Ti is too expensive for what benefits it offers right now.

15 minutes ago, TechGuy007 said:

have you checked if the gpu fits in your case ?, gpu length is 325mm, case max gpu length is 290mm

I actually didn't, but I think this is smaller of an issue, 1080 is just what I will probably go for and then it's detail to find the precise model I want and make sure it fits :)

What I'm really looking for is help to confirm or deny whether it's viable option to reuse some of my old components right now :)

Just now, oshsama said:

What I'm really looking for is help to confirm or deny whether it's viable option to reuse some of my old components right now :)

I think that you just have to buy a hole new PC.

2 minutes ago, oshsama said:

PSU is still great keep it

And the HDD

rip

1 minute ago, rip said:

PSU is still great keep it

And the HDD

I think it's better to get a new PSU, because of compatiblity with newer products.

And it's safer.

Here's what I would do, I know a ton of the parts seem overkill but he wants it to last along time, I did add quite a lot of RAM so 32Gb is also fine

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ZIC/saved/HmdTWZ

PCPartPicker URL

Why not slap a xeon w3680 or x5680 and more ram onto that board? X58 should support 48gb ram, though I haven't had the chance to buy more yet.

Hey @oshsama, Icall this build "the titan"! :P Quality over everything!!!!! I downgraded the 1tb SSD down to 500gb, because I would wait for Intel advancing optane into SSD's for enthusiast users like yourself

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  (£439.97 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£215.56 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£275.99 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£119.43 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES.3 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£154.47 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  (£789.98 @ Novatech)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£82.96 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£168.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  (£180.04 @ Ebuyer)
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  (£728.90 @ CCL Computers)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM UK Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £3415.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 17:09 BST+0100